Chapter 9

Rob's POV

I roll my cart outside of the store, shivering in the cool air. The sun has dropped below the horizon and the temperature dropped as well. Small raindrops are starting to fall, making dark spots in my clothes.

I look up at the light fixtures, you can only see the rain when it's outlined against the yellow light. I slowly begin to put all of the groceries in the back of my car. There isn't much to show for the hour I spent wandering the store. That's really all I was doing though, wandering. My thoughts just continue to drift back into history.

I'd never even had a girlfriend.

I hadn't. I'd never even had a connection with a girl. Not once.

But Preston?

He has. He has a girlfriend right now.

And Lachlan?

Well Lachlan was never great at hiding it. He just always was. But why Lachlan? There isn't something so special about him. I thought he hated him.

I wish he still hated him.

And that's where I have to stop myself. Lachlan is still one of my best friends. He's like my brother and I could never wish that upon him. And Preston, Preston practically is my brother. I guess I'll just have to live with it. But I don't want to.

When I finally get in my car the rain is starting to get heavier. After a few minutes of driving in silence, listening to the patter of rain, a full on storm breaks loose. Nervously I carry on, I'm only a few minutes away from my house but it might as well be hours. When I finally pull into my garage I sigh with relief.

I'm alive

It only takes two trips to get everything inside. I put everything away, leaving out the ingredients for a grilled cheese. Grilled cheese sandwiches are my favorite thing in the world and never fails to calm me down. I then pull off my jacket and kick off my shoes. After after few minutes I have a grilled cheese sandwich sitting on a plate.

I walk into my living room, turning on the TV as I sit down on my couch. Flipping through random channels I take a huge bite of my sandwich and instantly I feel my shoulders releasing tension. I think certain foods just have a magical affect on me. My shirt is still wet, my hair dripping small drops of water down my face. I go upstairs to my room, changing out of my rain soaked clothes.

When I get back downstairs a huge clap of thunder sounds. I jump a little bit but what really throws me is the voice.

"Shit!" There's someone outside of my house. I slowly inch towards my front window. A strike of lighting tears through the sky, one brilliant white streak illuminating the streets. As it does I make out the figure of a girls body. I swear she almost looks like Sarah.

Well that was weird.

I sit back down on the couch with my now empty, and staticky TV. The power starts cutting out, until finally it just gives out. Darkness is surrounding me. After a moment my eyes begin to pick out the outlines of objects. Lighting is my only lighting system now. I stay sitting for a few minutes, then I give up.

I don't feel like sitting around and waiting for the power to come back on. I need some sleep anyways, I have actual things to do tomorrow. I slowly creep up my stairs. I feel the silence surrounding me, only the sound of wind and an occasional clap of thunder. I feel the need to, if not outdo the silence, then to match it. After my slow climb up the stairs I quickly, and lightly, run to my bedroom.

When I finally get inside I run and jump into my bed, smothering myself with the covers. The patter of rain on my roof and windows is all it takes to put me to sleep.

--------------------------------

Hey guys, I apologize for the lack of updating and the kinda short chapter but I'm not known for meeting my deadlines. Don't punch me though.

~Sky