Chapter 16

Preston's POV

Is it possible to have feelings for two people at once?

I've been asking myself this question for the past few months. I find myself getting lost in the thought, hiding away in a place that's safe. With Rob I'm safe, he doesn't hurt me, he doesn't talk down to me, he wouldn't. He's my best friend. Ever since the night he found out about what I had done to myself I've been pondering my feelings.

I kissed him on the check but in that moment I wanted to do more. I wanted to kiss him, I wanted to fall asleep with him. In that moment I wanted to be his. I've never had that spontaneous burst of longing, never that strong. Lachlan knows something is up though.

Every now and then he'll come to my apartment drunk or sober, it doesn't make a huge difference. Sometimes the encounter starts out right, we're the cute couple, but I'll say or do something and he will fire off... Sometimes he just yells, sometimes he swings a punch or a shove. It's my fault though, that's one thing he's right about.

If only i could just do things right. Maybe he wouldn't have to hurt me if I could just do it right.

Stupid.

Stupid!

Silly boy, he doesn't love you. He can't love you. Can you blame him? Would you love you? Would anyone?

There's a constant war in my head. Always taking over my thoughts. The only other thing that makes me forget is blood. Just seeing it there, knowing that I can do that right. Rob and blood, one I can have, the other I can't.

One good thing I can think about is Halloween! I've spent weeks planning out my costume! Lachlan decided to go as something more generic, I'm willing to make an exception because, he makes a very sexy fireman. I'm a little bummed that we aren't going to be hanging out with the pack, we have every year before, whether in real life or over video chats. This year we're going to a party, I've never met the host but he and Lachlan are friends so I guess I'll have to live.

When I walk into the party I don't recognize anybody.

"I'm going to go say hey to some people," Lachlan says, dropping my hand as soon as we step through the doorway. Before I can protest he is lost in the crowd. I make my way over to stand by the bar, taking it all in.

I hate parties. I always have. A bunch of sweaty people crammed like sardines in the middle of a wide open room never seemed like a good time to me. I stand around waiting for about twenty minutes, passing the time by drinking soda out of an orange cup, the signature red replaced for the holidays. Apparently it catches up with my pretty quickly because I find myself shoving my way upstairs, desperate for a bathroom. When I reach the upstairs hallway I open the first door I see in hopes of finding an available bathroom. Instead I open the door to a bedroom.

Lachlan is on top of him, boxers only, kissing him. I don't know who. My stomach drops and my heart stops for minute. I stand paralyzed in the doorway. The other boy scrambling out as fast as he can.

"How could you..." I whisper. "HOW COULD YOU!" Louder this time. I'm walking into the room, and I don't recognize the expression on Lachlans face.

"I'm sorry." He says it coldly, like I was yelling at him for leaving a light on. Like he didn't owe me an apology. Like I didn't walk in on him undressing another guy.

"AFTER ALL THE SHIT YOU PUT ME THROUGH THIS IS WHAT YOU DO?! YOU CHEAT ON ME! HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DOING THIS?" I'm yelling. Im mad. I don't have room for anything but anger.

"Preston calm down!" He's starting to get mad. He has his hands on my shoulders but I immediately shove them off, pushing him away from me.

"It was one guy at one party!" He shouts, shoving me back.

"How many guys? How many parties?" I shove him back even harder. He stumbles back a few steps, rage solidifying in his eyes.

"Why does it fucking matter?!" He swings an arm and his fist connects with my jaw. "Can you blame me for cheating?" Another one hits my eye. "If you must know he isn't the first!" He ends with one against my nose. I'm on the ground, scuttling backwards on three limbs, one of my arms holding my bleeding face. He angrily storms out, gathering his clothes. I move myself into the corner, curled in the fetal position. I take out my phone and call the only person I can think of.

Hey Rob?

Yeah buddy, what's up?

I need help? I'm trying not to cry but I can't help it.

What happened? What's wrong?

I'll explain later. Please come get me.

Where are you.

I give him the address and he immediately starts coming my way. I pick myself up and truce down the stairs and out of the door where I find him pulling in as close to the driveway as he can get. When I finally reach him at the end of the driveway he immediately hugs me. He holds me close and tight, completely surrounding me.

"I'm here now. You're going to be okay. Everything's going to be okay."