Chapter 5

Note: Wow, we're already at 1.2k and this is only the fifth chapter.

Announcement: Updates will probably be 2-3 times a week but don't hold me to it ;P

Dedicated to @deludedlarryshipper6 cuz she is lovely bunny.

>>>

"What the fuck? No fucking way."

It took several seconds for the words to process in his mind before Calum realized that he had been the one to say them. He had let those words leave his mouth.

What the hell? What was that? What did that mean?

Several dominants and submissives moved around him but he paid them absolutely no mind. Instead, Calum turned to stare at his best friend in disbelief before returning his dark gaze to the screen in front of them. He watched his name blink but his brain couldn't seem to process what was happening.

This wasn't possible? What the hell was going on?

"Are you seeing this?" Ashton asked, hand coming up to shake Calum's shoulder. "Please, tell me I'm not hallucinating right now."

The dark-haired dominant nodded but his body felt numb, shocked.

His entire body felt cold and his mind went blank. There's no way he read that right. But...Ashton had seen it, too. He'd read it, too. Brown eyes stared up at the screen again and the same thing blinked back at him, nearly sending him to his knees.

"How is that even possible?" Ashton hissed, grip tightening. "How did that even happen?"

Calum shook his head, dark locks flying. His best friend shot him a frantic look, heart pounding in his ears.

"I don't know, Ashton," he breathed, nearly choking on his own tongue. "I...I really don't fucking know."

The dark-haired man stared at the screen in confusion. That should not be possible. There's no way in hell that should even be possible.

"Are they going to force us to retake the test?" Ashton questioned, eyes steeling and body tensing at the thought.

Calum felt like snapping and swinging at his best friend but stopped himself before he could even lift a finger. That was no way to act in a situation like this. Yes, he was freaking out but he couldn't just go crazy. He needed to stay cool, composed.

He needed to get answers.

"I don't know, Ashton."

Calum grimaced at his own words. He hated not knowing and judging by the expression on his best friend's face, Ashton hated being clueless, just as much as he did.

"They're calling us up," Calum managed to say, dark eyes landing on one of the dominants on the stage, waving a sign in the air with their last names on it. "We need to go."

Ashton nodded, pulling his hand back to his own body and rolling his shoulders backward.

He schooled his expression and Calum did the same. They straightened, holding themselves with pride and confidence. Because, even though they were in shock and no idea what the hell was going on, they were first and foremost dominants.

And goddamnit, they were going to act like it.

>>>

Luke felt his blood run cold at the same time he felt Michael's hand let go of his.

It was impossible. No way. There was no way this could happen. He had never heard of this happening before. He felt his lip quiver and his legs shake. He could barely hold himself up as he stared at his name blinking back at him.

"That isn't possible," Michael cried, snapping Luke out of his stupor.

He averted his gaze to the submissive standing right beside him with tears in his eyes.

"What does that mean, Luke?" he asked, voice shaking with fear and confusion.

Luke tried to come up with an answer but nothing came to mind.

He had absolutely no idea what had happened or how it had even come to happen. He just knew that, sooner rather than later, he was sure that both of them would be having a panic attack. He could already feel his breath quickening and watched as tears flowed freely down Michael's face.

"Clifford, Hemmings. To the side of the stage, please," Payne called out, causing both submissives to snap their head in attention.

Michael turned back to Luke, helpless and afraid.

Luke was sure that his expression mirrored the dark-haired submissive's.

"Michael," he choked, holding his hand out.

He didn't know what else to do. All he knew was that he needed Michael's hand in his. There was no way he could even make it to the stage without Michael with him, touching him.

"Luke," Michael cried out, gripping his hand tightly. "I'm scared. I don't know what's going on."

Luke could feel his heart pounding and his hand shaking in Michael's but he couldn't feel an answer come to his mind.

He was just as clueless as the boy crying before him, holding his hand. The blonde felt his heart clench at the sight. Still, even in this critical moment, he hated the sight of Michael crying. He desperately wished he could take away those tears.

He gently tugged on Michael's hand. It was against his nature to full-on lead Michael towards the stage but he wanted the boy to walk beside him. He would never feel fully confident enough to direct anyone, but he knew that Michael needed someone to lean on and help him figure out what was going on.

"Michael. Can we go now?" Luke asked, still timid.

The dark-haired boy wiped at his eyes and sniffled before nodding his head. Luke's chest twisted at the sight of Michael's slightly puffy eyes. Before the blonde could help it, a few tears slipped down his own cheeks.

Michael noticed the action and, immediately, softened at the sight of Luke in pain. He knew Luke was trying to be strong for him, even if it was against his nature. Michael tightened his grip on Luke's hand, trying to force a smile to let the blonde know that he wasn't as bad as before.

"We're going to be okay," he tried to reassure the light-haired submissive.

Luke shot him a grateful smile and wiped the tears away with his other hand.

They started towards the stage, hearts pounding and minds kind of fuzzy. The only thing they could do, as they approached the stage was stare at the giant screen above them and watch the words blink back at them.

Calum Hood/Ashton Irwin/Michael Clifford/Luke Hemmings: 506-971-648