1 ▹ The Past

Taryn wasn't always defined crazy. She actually use to live a normal life with a normal and loving family. A mother, a father, a brother. She even had a boyfriend. Then it came along and ruined her whole life.

A dark spirit. A monster. A Nogitsune.

It was three years ago when he came around. At first everything was going well with Taryn, she was in school with straight A's, had all the friends she could ask for, and had a loving boyfriend by her side. She never knew anything was wrong until her boyfriend started to show signs of sickness. He was malnourished, looked like he hadn't gotten sleep in years, and was acting stranger with Taryn every day.

Then the day came where Taryn met Noshiko Yukimura. She explained to the fourteen year old that her boyfriend was not the boy she had known before. He had been taken over by a creature only known about in dark stories. A Nogitsune.

Taryn, without much choice, helps Noshiko the next day to track down her boyfriend—who had been hiding for the last two days.

When Taryn confronts her boyfriend—or Nogitsune—he smirks, not the smirk that Taryn and him shared as a friendly gesture, but a dark and evil smirk. Taryn, or more so Noshiko, should have known what the creature was up to, but no one knew before it was too late.

The Nogitsune had said to Taryn, "I've been waiting for you to say something." He backs the girl into a corner, telling her she is his divine move. That with her, he will not be defeated.

He took over her body, her soul, her everything that day. Leaving her boyfriend to lay on the ground motionless at her toes and Noshiko to figure out a new way to defeat the Nogitsune while he uses Taryn to kill and trick people.

He took away her parents life with a flick of his wrist. Taryn being forced to watch through her eyes, yet not have any control over the actions. It was the worst feeling ever, to be aware of what was going on, but being paralyzed with something else controlling her.

Next, the Nogitsune went and killed her brother. Though not as quickly as her parents. No, he decided to twist a sword through his body and leave him to bleed out. That, of all the pain she had to watch, was the most gruesome to her. She and her brother shared a close bond and watching him cry out to his sister to stop broke her in half.

As the days went on, she was forced to watch as the dark Kitsune destroyed people lives, kill them, and mess around with people. And she couldn't do anything about it, she could only watch and feel his joy.

Weeks later, nearly a month later, Noshiko captured a special herb that the Nogitsune was weak to. Like how kryptonite was Superman's weakness, this extinct herb was the Nogitsunes kryptonite. In his weakness, Taryn had managed to push control of her body and knock the spirit out of her.

Noshiko captured the small fly (which was the Nogitsune in his true form) and took the incredibly weak Taryn somewhere called the Nemeton. To Taryn it looked like a sawed down tree, leaving only the roots. But Noshiko argued that it was once magical and it still held enough power to old the demon, so the two bury the monster within the roots. Noshiko had comforted the girl, saying she was safe and he couldn't get out.

Taryn always had a quiet voice in her head telling her that she'd never be safe again.

Left without a family or loved ones, Noshiko dropped the girl off at a mental health institution where she believed she'd be safe. It's always been said that the safest spot is where the truth remains hidden.

Echo House.

◇◆◇

Everything echoes eventually, hence why Taryn likes to call it Echo House. You could hear someone telling a secret across the building and everyone would hear the echo. So hearing the screams of a boy and then a bang, telling Taryn someone committed suicide, was no surprise to Taryn.