2 ▹ Sessions of Guilt

Taryn was removed from her room to attend a group counseling session, requested by Miss Morrell. That was the last thing the brunette wanted to do. Being in her room gave her plenty of time to think about that boy who knew her, something about him gave Taryn chills up her spine.

Now, sitting in front of him, she felt the same chills every time his eyes flickered to herself. Though she chose to ignore them and him for the time being as Morrell read over some notes she had on her group.

"Okay," Morrell started, her voice soft as she spoke, "I wanna start out asking how everyone has been doing."

She went around the circle of patients and when it came to Taryn she folded her arms and glared at the boy in front of her.

"Taryn?" Morrell smiled to the girl near her, "how have you been?"

The girls lips puckered for a second before she sputtered out, "I was doing better." The brown eyed boy glanced up from his hands and furrowed his eyebrows at the teen girl. She watched as he started fumbling with his hands, his forehead sweating. He was nervous. Taryn was getting the same way, but she wouldn't show it to that boy.

Everyone else went, giving out short fines. Others complaining about something minor, but making it a huge deal. Miss. Morrell was patient with everyone and as it grew quiet, she decided to go to her next subject. "I'd like to go over the topic of guilt today. It might surprise you to hear me say that guilt is a good thing. It's a rather mature emotion."

Next to Taryn, a girl named Malia, who was a decent person with Taryn beside her blunt opinions, sighed.

"Malia, you said something about guilt the other day." Once again the girl sighed, refusing to look at Morrell. "You said it came with a visceral reaction."

She huffed, "I said it made me feel sick to my stomach."

Across the room, next to the boy, Oliver started coughing. Taryn saw him yesterday doing the same thing. He never liked Taryn, believing she was a nutcase, so she didn't bother to question if he was alright.

"Guilt often becomes physical." Morrell glanced at Stiles and Taryn, who were both turning their heads towards something behind him. "It's not just psychological."

Behind Stiles stood a man with bandages all over his body, his silver teeth grinning as he spoke to a patient in front of him. Taryn's heart rate spiked and Malia glanced to the girl, noticing her odd behavior. When she blinked, the bandaged man was gone.

"How does guilt make you feel, Stiles?"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Guilt." Morrell spoke calmly, noticing the twos odd behavior as well, "how does it make you feel?"

He rubbed his hands together, "nervous."

"Like a sense of urgency?" He slightly nodded, "you feel an urgent need to make up for something you've done. To apologize."

Morrell noticed Taryn fading off and brought her back into the conversation, "you were talking about feeling guilty, Taryn." The brunette girl glanced at Morrell, "how does it feel?"

She bit her cheek, the boy watching her as she thought, "it makes me feel horrible. I have no way of fixing what happened, so I'm always anxious." 

Flashes of Taryn's family passed over her eyes, sights of her parents dead and bleeding at her feet to her brothers life fading from his eyes. The brunette had to do everything to remain calm and rigid as the session went on. 

"So like how Stiles feels, you feel an urgent need to apologize for something you've done." Taryn narrows her eyes but nodded nevertheless. Her voice faded out as Stiles noticed movement beside him. Taryn watched the confusing boy for a moment before seeing a bandaged hand grip his thigh and the face turning to grin at her. Both teens turned away from the creature, refusing to look in the direction of the figure, just positioning in the chair again.