12 ▹ Let Me In

"Do you actually believe they're looking for you?"

Taryn blinked back tears. She wasn't sure how long she had been trapped in the clammy underground tunnels. All she knows is her ability to withstand the Nogitsune's verbal abuse was thinning. Every time he opened his mouth, the more her glass cracked--especially when he brought up her family or Stiles.

"I myself was kind of wondering what they're doing right now. What useless lead they're chasing. I wonder if maybe some of them have bigger problems to deal with right now. Maybe they're waiting for nightfall; maybe they really aren't worried about you. After all, they have Stiles back, and he might be dying, but they have him back. So why would they save you? What are you to them?"

Her hands clutched the gate poles tighter. She squeezed her eyes together tightly to stop the downpour of tears. She refused to look behind her at the Nogitsune; seeing Stiles right there, in this secondary form scared her more than when she first found out about her boyfriend being possessed. Maybe it was because her life was more threatened this time or because somehow she knew Stiles.

The Nogitsune stood up from his spot on the stair and walked slowly down to where Taryn was standing. She could feel his presence get near and she tensed up, especially when his mouth landed right on her ear, his lips tickling with every word he said.

"Let me in Taryn."

◇◆◇

Stiles was getting worse by the second. His body was growing cold and he reeked of death and sadness. However, Scott couldn't put his full attention on his dying best friend because something was happening with Lydia Martin. She was trying to remain unseen as she had minor panics, but the McCall noticed how she would occasionally run her hand through her hair and walk from one point in his house to the other.

And Scott knew she wasn't panicking because Taryn had been taking by the dark spirit, Lydia hardly knew the girl. So Scott had an itching feeling that whatever was happening to Lydia was to do with being a Banshee.

Lydia was hearing screams, whispers, calls from all over. They were bouncing off the walls and echoing in her mind. She couldn't put together exactly what they were saying or what they were telling her.

"Lydia," Scott questioned after leaving a resting Stiles on the couch and following Lydia into the kitchen, "what's wrong."

Lydia froze in her spot and glanced over at her Alpha. She shook her head, running her fingers through her frizzy hair. "I-I don't know what they're saying."

Scott furrowed his brows and was about to question her further when Kira called on his phone, "hello?"

"Meredith is here. She's here at school, in coaches class."

Scott stared at his phone for a moment before replying to Kira that they'd be there in a moment. When Stiles first came back and realized Taryn was gone, the male had tried his best to come up with ways they could go help the female. Over all his options the one that stuck out to Scott was when Stiles explained that a female named Meredith Walker at Eichen House was muttering about how they should know the whole story and for some reason Stiles and now Scott thought that Meredith could help find Taryn.

Since they found out Stiles is actually Stiles, the boy had been restless and freaked out. He could smell the anxiety on him along with everything else and Scott knew his best friend was worried about Taryn. He wouldn't ever know or understand what happened between the two when they met at Eichen--only what Taryn chose to tell him. Moreover, Scott would never have knowledge of the two's unseen connection.

It was truly one of kind in the most horrible way.

◇◆◇

Scott, Stiles, and Lydia managed to get Meredith back to the McCall house with the help of Kira and Coach Finstock (who kept the head orderly busy). Scott stayed downstairs with his suspicious father while Stiles, Lydia, and Isaac (who was back from the hospital) went upstairs to Scott's room to question Meredith.