13

The first time I enter Grant's house, I notice how comely it is. I smile.

"Mom?" Grant calls out into the house, "Where are you?"

"Art room!" A voice calls back.

Grant leads me to the art room, which is just a small room with a canvas and some other paintings. His mother is sitting on a stool, coloring the canvas with autumn-colored paints.

"Hey, mom," Grant says, "I would kiss your cheek, but it's like you purposely painted it. And where art thou Lillian?"

"You suck. However, my favorite kid is going to Tanya's right after school," then she notices me, "I'm assuming this is the great Venice?"

I turn to Grant for a second, feeling mildly pleased that I was mentioned to her. Then I smile at his mom, "Yeah, that's me -- Venice Waters."

She laughs, "That's an amazing name. I'm Mary."

"She dresses up like Bloody Mary every Halloween," Grant randomly adds.

"Scares everyone on the street," Mary winks. I can tell where Grant got his humor and charm from, "So, whatcha kiddos up to?"

"Food then sleep."

Mary gives Grant a stern look, "No funny business, young man."

"Yes ma'am," Grant salutes before taking me to the door.

"Bye!" I call out before we completely leave the room.

"She's nice," I tell him, "A lot like you."

"Yeah? I'm glad," we enter the kitchen, "Nutella sandwiches sound good?"

"Heavenly."

"Too bad you won't meet little Lillian today," says Grant, "unless you come with me to pick her up and stay for dinner."

"Sure."

"Cool."

After we finish eating the delicious sandwiches, he takes me to the living room, the place where we entered from.

"We can sleep here or my room. I won't force you either way."

"I don't mind going to your room."

"My room it is."

We go to his room and climb into his bed, which smells like him -- coffee and vanilla. The warmth of him already consumes the left side of my body. It feels nice.

"Goodnight," I mumble.

"It's not even night."

______________

These cuties. Seriously.

vote•comment

-thyselves