Eight

Steve's PoV

He sat still while she checked his wounds, completely immersed in the sea of his thoughts.

What had just happened? Why was his best friend here? How was he here? Steve had watched him fall to his death over two years ago. If it was him, why had tried to kill Steve? Unanswered questions bounced around his brain.

It wasn't possible. James Buchanan Barnes would never do that to him. No. He put his seeing if his lifelong friend down to a concussion from hitting his head on the wall. He was confused, that was all. His mind was playing tricks in him.

Sick, twisted tricks.

Steve watched Peggy stand up and hurry down the corridor. She followed the blood smears around the corner and disappeared. He suddenly snapped back to reality. They were on a mission. One that they had yet to complete. He didn't know if Peggy had already found Reid or not, but either way, they had to get moving.

He stood up too quickly, stumbling to the wall for support as a wave of dizziness crashed over him. The super-soldier paused for a moment and took some deep breaths, before walking towards his shield. He bent down slowly and grabbed it, using the wall to help him stand upright again. He slid the shield up his injured arm, grunting against the pain it brought.

He left the wall and picked up his helmet, moving a bit faster now. He held it in his hand, knowing that there was no point in trying to put it on his bloodied face.

The Captain turned back to where Peggy had disappeared, fully intending to follow her. Just then, she rounded the corner and smiled at him. He gave her a confused look, but she didn't explain. She just kept walking passed him and turned the corner. Steve jogged to catch up to her, although it didn't take long.

"Come on Rogers," she called over her shoulder. "Let's get out of this dump."

Peggy moved quickly towards a man who sat hunched in the corridor. He looked ten times worse than Steve felt. He was wearing a black jacket with his arms secured on the inside with ripped trousers and was covered from head to toe in cuts and bruises.

Steve looked from Peggy to the man and back again, realising something. It was her jacket.

She ran closer to him, cupping his cheek with one hand and checking his pulse with the other. Steve looked around them, making sure the coast was clear.

"Michael? It's Peggy. Remember how I told you that I knew someone who could help?" She paused, glancing back at Steve. "Well he's here," she reassured the man, stroking his cheek with her thumb.

Peggy motioned for Steve to move closer to them, so he did. He crouched down beside Peggy so he was in front of poor man.

"Steve, this is Agent Michael Reid," she said motioning towards the man in front of them. Steve raised his eyebrows at her, silently asking if she was serious. She nodded slightly in return, causing Steve to sigh with relief. She had just made the rest of their mission a lot easier. "Michael, this is Captain Steven Rogers," Peggy finished, introducing the two men.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Sir," Steve said, gently placing a comforting hand on the agent's shoulder. "I think it's time we got you home."

"Steve, do you think you could carry Michael? He can't move very well with his injuries," Peggy said, turning slightly to face the Captain.

"Of course," he replied, feeling terrible for the agent in front of him. His face was so swollen that there was no way he could see. He was covered in blood, dried and fresh, his skin almost transulcent.

They needed to get him out now.

Steve stood up slightly before helping Michael up.

"Agent Reid, I-" he saw the look Peggy was giving him, so he tried again. "Michael," he said looking at her for approval. She nodded, so he continued. "I'm gonna need to carry you over my shoulder. I might hurt, but that way I can still help Peggy."