Twenty

As he headed towards the Mission Room, Steve noticed the hushed tones, the huddled whispers of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and staff as he passed them in the corridor.

"Something big must be going on."

As he walked into the room, he could feel the air of excitement in the air, even in his first stride.

"It must be something huge," he thought as he started making his way through the room, looking for a particular someone.

When he reached her desk, he expected to be greeted by her beautiful, heart-warming, brain clouding smile, but she wasn't there. Steve furrowed his eyebrows as he looked around for her.

He spotted an agent sitting at a near by desk and walked up to him to see if he knew of her whereabouts.

"Agent Simons, have you seen Agent Carter?"

The dark haired man didn't look up from the desk, his scowl seeming to grow at the mention of Peggy's name.

"Last time I saw her she was goin' to the Colonel's office. They've got her doin' somethin' big," he said, not bothering to even look at Steve at all.

Steve shook his head, moving away from the desk and on his way to the Colonel's office when Simons spoke again.

"More like doin' someone big," he snickered, his voice barely audible, but still not quiet enough.

Steve stopped where he was, anger starting to boil inside of him already. He could literally feel himself growing angrier and angrier by the second. He clenched his jaw as he turned back to the man who's desk was the last in the long row before the corner.

"Breathe. Breathe. Don't blow your top. Breathe."

He was Captain America. He didn't lose his cool easily, but this, this was different.

All those snide and rude comments during the war, all of the jeering he took, he could handle it. They were about him. This was another ballpark completely.

This was his Peggy.

"Excuse me?" Steve asked calmly, his teeth gritted slightly as he tried to control himself.

"Breathe, Rogers. Don't lose it. Breathe, damn it!"

"I suppose she's not called "Peggy the Pin-Up Girl" for nothin', am I right?" Simons smirked at his Glenn Miller reference, his eyes not leaving the desk.

That was it.

Steve grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, dragging him around the corner and out of sight of everyone else. He shoved the other man against the wall, lifting his feet off the ground slightly, not choking him, just holding him in a tight, uncomfortable way.

Steve watched as fear flashed in the Agent's eyes as he realised who he was dealing with.

"Do you wanna say that again, Agent?" Steve asked quietly, his voice commanding and calm.

"I- I-"

"Who do you think you are, huh? How dare you speak like that about your co-worker, your superior, the best god-damn agent the Allied side has during the war!" Steve's voice was eerily calm and low, making him all the more terrifying.

"Keep it together, Rogers. You don't wanna get in trouble over some numbskull like him. Say your bit and go."

The Captain allowed the other man's feet to touch the floor, but held onto to him.

"You'd better apologise, Simons. I mean it. I don't even want her to know what for. Just apologise. And I swear to God and all that is holy in this world, if I hear about or see you or anyone else making up rumours like that or saying, even muttering anything offensive about anyone, I'll hold you responsible. I swear, even if it's Martha the cleaning lady, or Andy the janitor. So pass that on to your sleezebag friends and tell them Cap says hi." Steve let go of the agent, fixing his collar and flashing him a smile. "Okay, pumpkin?" He asked, with a kind smile, noticing how the man visibly gulped.