Chapter 1. A Woman

We both stood there, underneath the bright, white crescent of the moon. Being deep in the forest where people like us, were prepared to die.

He slowly began to pull out his sword and watched me do the same before standing in a position of attack. I could feel my heart beat faster, as i was only seconds away from a violent and blood-thirsting fight.

The observation of his clothing was clear to me that he was sent here for an assassination. He was covered in black velvet, hiding his face behind a mask, while the moon reflected off the angle of his silver hair. He was tall, 1.8meters to be prosiest, and having broad shoulders that he held made him seem a little more fierce and sturdy. He had a slim, structured face beneath his mask, and if I had observed right, his headband had covered his right eye.

I noticed that he stood alone, being the only presence I could feel, it made the air feel more dense than usual. Being sent on a mission alone, was acknowledged by the village that the ninja who was sent, was highly skilled and ranked. Wandering, I stood distant, with my sword held defensively in front of my body, thinking  if he thought I was a scroungy, skinny, little man about to meet my death. My body too, was covered in black clothing from head to toe, i wore a mask which hid my face as it did for him.

The moon lit the forest, which casted shadows upon the surrounding we stood by.

I watched as he began to take careful steps towards me, softly crushing dead leaves underneath his feet. I too began to take short, easy steps, preparing myself for an uneasy battle.

He seemed very cautious, reminding me of what my uncle had said. Never underestimate who you deal with, they just might win.

He did not flinch to the sounds of animals which scurried by, nor did he look away from me. I could admit, that he had a fierce determination of death in his eyes, that it made me feel as if tonight was my last.

He did not mutter a single word, before running straight towards me. His sword was held high above his head before clashing down onto mine. The sound of two heavy metals striking, rang throughout the forest, causing creatures to scatter away. I had my body positioned in defense, my sword was held only inches away, angled across my face.

Being under the pressure of his strength, my arms soon began to quiver. The distance between the weapon  held and my face, were unlikely to stay the same; but I kept my strength going. Seconds later he retreaded by jumping back, going back to the posture where his sword was held in front of his body. I took a steady breath in and exhaled quietly.

I did not wear a forehead protector like he did. I was a disgrace to the village and to my dead family. I was only assigned to this mission because of a murder I did not cause, owing my life to death or to serve the village. I was an outcast and treated like one. In the eyes of society, whose ever sword was drawn and soaked with blood, was consider as the murderer.

I watched him, reading him, studying his stance, every breath he took, his eye.

With one movement he disappeared, he was swift, even quiet. Not one leaf had moved. I looked up and he was in the air, with his sword about to slash down at me. I stepped out the way and soon after, we were dancing with swords. Everything around me was moving quickly, jumping back and forth, forcing our swords to clang hard against each other. I pushed my sword against onto the weapon he held, causing us both to jump back, so we kept our distance. I was breathless, breathing hard, my arms were weak and my sword felt heavier than usual. He took steps forward, soon beginning to run towards me. We were at it again, slicing the air between us. With every move he made, I began to take steps back as we fought.

At that moment, it happened. My back was against the tree with blood oozing from the wound that had pinned me. His sword had pierced my left shoulder. Onto the trunk of the tree behind me. I cringed at the pain, gasping, but I did not speak or yell. For now I, was standing at deaths door.

He chuckled behind his mask, and grew a smirk through the fabric he wore above his mouth, "Are you prepared?" His husky voice was truly filled with death. I was going to die.

Tears began to build up, but I couldn't cry, only the rush of adrenalin ran through me like fear. I will not show my defeat until I truly am defeated. In that second, I swung my sword to attack him but he moved, barley cutting the right side of his cheek. He was fast. He took caution stepping back, pulling out the sword that he had pierced me with. I fell to the ground beneath me, dropping my weapon beside myself to take hold of my wound. Without a doubt, he used that moment swiftly and kicked the sword away. He stood tall in front of me, with his sword pointing down at my face.  Looking up, the moon glistened behind him, hiding behind his figure, shyly.

"Shall I see who I am killing?" He knelt down and looked at me with his eye. With one hand, he gripped my neck and pulled me up, pushing me against the tree, "Don't do anything stupid."

He stuck his weapon into the ground behind him while keeping his other hand on me. He grinned happily, up until he removed that material that had covered my head. My straight, black hair fell onto my shoulders. His eye widened. Soon, he hesitantly reached for the mask that covered my face, pulling it  down slow he whispered,

"A woman."

To be continued...