Chapter 2. Savior

The sky held no stars and made it seem as if the moon was on its own. Trees began to sway in the breeze, lingering its way through to the strands of my hair before soaring back into the distance.

The moon dimmed behind him, forming a shadow over his face. It made it difficult for me to read what he was planning to do next, so I glared at his featureless appearance. My body was exhausted. The wound he had created continued to bleed, causing an agonizing pain that had thumped at every beat my heart made.  My knees trembled heavily from the pain and loss of blood. I was pathetic, because I had plunged to a pitiable state, of stating my own death.
 My unmasked face remained lifeless, along with everything else that had kept me going. I was praying, hoping that one day my name would be cleared for murder. Yet, it felt as if my life, my fate, was being tied to an end by this man.

Only minutes later did I feel his grip slightly loosen. The shadowed figure faintly tilted his head before removing his hand completely off me. My mind began to mutter, with twists of stories that I was being freed. Was God on my side?
 My legs were about to give in, but the only thing that had held me upright was the choke hold he forced me with. I leaned my back hard onto the trunk of the tree, trying my best to keep our level of heights the same. I took a steady breath in closing my eyes, before realizing I had sheepishly slid down the trunk of the tree. I felt the earth beneath me, the tree behind me and the rate of my heart steady. I was being spared, or so I thought.

My eyes shot opened as I heard the sound his weapon being pulled out from the ground. He walked over to my sword that he had kicked away earlier, picking it up, he threw it out in front of me. I looked at my weapon before staring up at his back. He had started to walk away soon before turning to face me from in the distance. Being afar and under the moon, his face reappeared, proving that he was ready for another battle.
I reached for the sword with my right arm, and used it as a cane to help me back onto my feet. My knees quivered with weakness, which made it difficult for any possible outcome of winning. My heart began to pick up the pace again, producing more blood to soak through my clothing. My left arm drooped beside me uselessly as I used the other arm to lift the sword. I only held the weapon inches from the ground before deciding to make the first move.
I took a step towards him when my head began to spin.  I was about to faint to what extent my body had gone through. I stumbled to the left but steadied myself with the sword, realizing I had no sight of him my body rotated instantly. A flicker of silver metal glistened through into my eyes and before I knew it he was only meters away. He had his sword aimed down by his left leg, about to slash my body from the stomach to the head. This was it, I was to late to move now, this is my death.
I closed my eyes and accepted it. I took a deep breathe in and straightened my body with the sword held motionless in my hand. In a few seconds now, my life would be taken.

Cling.
Cling.
Cling.

That sound was familiar. It was the sound of metal against metal.
I opened my eyes to see Shin's back turned onto me, protecting me. I dropped my weapon instantly and scattered my hands into a ball before pressing it into my chest. I was so glad to see him that tears welled up in my eyes before my heart began to ache painfully from the adrenalin. I fell down to the ground beneath me and planted my face into my palms before sobbing quietly. I did not notice what had happened, or how he found me but I was glad he did.
Only the sound of two swords clashed throughout the forest. I did not dare look at the scene of their battle, who was winning or who was losing. I didn't want to care about the fight, but Shin who had fought for me made it feel as if I had too. Thinking about it made me feel as if I was reliving the same moments years ago. Screams. Bodies. Blood.
The touch of  two other ninja's placed themselves on both sides of me, resting their hands on my shoulders. I looked back to clarify who they were, but they wore masks that corresponded back to the village.
Without a doubt, the silver haired ninja retreated.
Shin stared into the distance, into the trees, even beyond, before heading back towards me.
He knelt down and placed his hand underneath my bare chin, analyzing he said to the ninja's, "Report back to Mrs. Chief Leader." Without a glance, they disappeared.
I threw myself at him and wrapped my arms around the back of his neck, "Thank you Shin."
I felt his arms find their way around my body before holding me tight, within that moment he stood up. My left shoulder was still bleeding but I did not say a word, I was just relieved that I had been spared from death. That my savior was Shin.
He pulled away, looking at me from head to toe when he noticed certain things.
"Zarachael..." His voice began to fade, along with the trees and everything else that had surrounded us.