Chapter 15. Change

We sat by the memorial stone as the silver moon watched over us. The cool breeze of the night moved the trees and quietly rattled bushes.

“Kakashi, did you want to head back?” I gazed over at him and watched as he silently sat in front of the large memorial stone.

“Just a little longer please.”

I nodded and knelt down beside him. Kakashi’s face was filled with sorrow. By the way he looked at the stone with those eyes made me feel the need to cry. The way his eyes watched the stone, like stories played in his mind of the past. I wondered if he ever thought about me that way. If he thought I had died or believed that I did.

I waited silently beside him for another hour, when I soon found myself dozing off.

“Zarachael, we’re going now.” His voice was soft and steady.

I got up heavily but swift, “I-I’m sorry!”

He had a sympathetic smile, “It’s late, there’s no need.”

We headed back to the alley way when Kakashi stood frozen, “Zarachael?”

I gazed over at him tiredly, “Yes?”

He murmured something underneath his breath but I wasn’t able to catch it, “Sorry?” I leaned in forwards.

“U-uh don’t worry.” He sighed.

It was quiet between us as we walked alone together. I tried really hard to think back at what he said, something about mary?

Merry?

Marry?

Marry? Something about marry? Was he going to get married? Is… is that it? He regretted that kiss. No, that couldn’t be it, he wouldn’t. I shook my head and disagreed, Kakashi’s not that type. Is he?

The smell of ramen filled the air as we walked past night stalls. I looked over to them and soon heard my stomach grovel in hunger.

Kakashi’s expressionless face broke out in laughter, “You must be hungry!”

I looked over at him and noticed that the scared eye was covered, before looking down in embarrassment, “Yeah…”

Kakashi led the way to a small stall that had squared material sheets hanging from the entrance, all saying welcome. He smiled through his mask and held it open before watching me duck to go in. He sat me down before placing himself on a seat beside me, “Two regular chicken ramen please.”

"Comin’ right up!”

I smiled at the chef before he went around to the back. I looked over at Kakashi and realised he stilled seemed to be deep in his thoughts. I couldn’t, no I wouldn’t try and replace the pain. It was an impossible thing to do, or was it? I always believed that nothing could replace pain, but the day that I met him, he left a remarkable print in my heart. He had remembered something that I had forgotten, something that should have been with me forever.

“Order up!”

I looked up and smiled, “Thank you for the food!”

After saying those words I was scoffing down the noodles, “This is grea-”

Kakashi wasn’t eating. He wasn’t beside me at all, “Kakashi?”

I looked around the small stall, “Sir?”

The chef turned with a smile, “Can I get you anything?”

“Have you seen where the man I was with went to?”