Chapter 4. Feelings

It was another cloudless night as the half-moon beamed down onto the earth.

My eyes flickered from place to place as I made my way past the silhouette trees. The quick and small creatures scurried nearby, causing bushes to rattle. The sound of calm running water played in the distance, becoming louder with every step I took. The darkened trees soon became lighter as I walked out into an opening. I stood at the edge of the shadows.

 I could see a river bank where the water rushed and went down stream. I took a deep breath in and exhaled. The thought of that silver haired ninja reappeared in my mind, sending a sensation throughout my body and over my wound. I couldn’t hold my sword right. I wasn’t able enough to lift it without my shoulder aching. Also, I wouldn’t dare search for another battle because of the wound.

I had started to carry a kunai for close encounters and a few shurikens for an enemy sighting. These were little accessories my arms were capable of yielding without any sort of pain.

 Trees covered most of the other side of the river as well. It had a small bed of white flowers. I observed harder, being reminded of it somewhere before. They were familiar. The white flowers turned out to be more like White Roses. They glimmered in the moon light and softly swayed to the light breeze. They were beautiful, but something important kept reminding me of memories I had forgotten, but what.

I was in uniform again, black clothing, a mask and something to cover my head. I turned away from the small bed of roses and made my way down the river. Still, I kept looking back at them.

I was far enough from the roses that I wasn’t able to see them anymore. What was this feeling? I couldn’t understand why I felt this pain, not from the wound but more in my gut, that I felt sorrow within my heart. I was angry, sad, all weird emotions collided, but I couldn’t understand.

I stopped in my tracks and turned to the direction of the river. I stood at the edge where I thought about crying but I couldn’t understand it. I thought back and was reminded of the roses. Why did they mean so much, why had they affected my emotions this bad?

“Zarachael?”

My body straightened to the sound of his voice.

“What are you doing?” His voice was soft, he was alone.

I turned and faced him to see that he wore dark clothing. He held a sword in his left hand but soon placed it back into the casing, realizing that it was me. We don’t usually run into each other like this, nor do we scout out the same area.

 “Y-yes?” I stuttered.

He soon walked towards me, “Why are you here?”

“I was assigned to this area?” My brow arched.

“No Zaracheal, you never scout out this area. You scout out west of the village.”

“Why does it matter to you?” I was beginning to get annoyed, why did he even care?

“Be-becau…” He stood only a meter away before he closed his eyes. “It’s an order!” His voice was sharp and loud that I flinched in shock.

“Pardon my rude manners Shin.” I bowed and proceeded to walk past him when he gripped onto my wrist.

“Zarachael, please.”

I turned and faced him realizing that he couldn’t control his management of authority over me.

I had admired him. He was strong and reliable. He was someone who everyone looked up to. Children wanted to become him, women who adored him. I was only a mere person who he knew only for years.

I gazed up at him and let out a sigh before leaning into him, caressing his arm. I removed the cover over my head and the mask before we continued on with our scouting. We walked in silent by river and gazed at our surrounding.

A scream broke the night.

Without a word we ran out to the cry.

Shin was only meters in front before he turned in abrupt, “Zarachael, stay here.  Don’t come out any further or else you… Stay here, it’s an order.” With that, he vanished.

I clenched my hand into a fist and breathed out through my nose hastily.

It was a man who yelled out through the distant, I would be useless if I couldn’t help Shin.

I made my way quietly to the scene, there were different presence I could feel, non familiar ones.

With that I knew it was an ambush.

The war had begun.