Chapter 3. Sadness

It was dark. My mind was blank. I was out.

I felt the wind curve and shape past my play, dead body. I was being held in his arms. Close to his chest that it made me warm again. I was zooming in and out, hearing voices but not having enough strength to waken myself from its slumber. I could hear people surrounding me,  asking curiously if I was alive or dead.

Shin should have left me for dead, because I deserved to die. These were the words that were spoken by the villages as I laid motionless in his arms.

“She has been unconscious for a while and has lost a lot of blood. Help her!” His voice. The tone he used sounded highly defensive. Protective over a prisoner. Over me.

It went silent for awhile before I felt my body being laid in a straight manner. My arms were placed beside me and my head facing upwards. The sound of machinery beeped at a steady rate when a sharp pain entered my wound repeatedly.

“Mum? Dad?” I cried.

I ran down the hall of the house.

 There was blood everywhere, on the walls, floors and the ceiling. Tears streamed down my face as I search each room desperately. I stumbled and slipped, forcing myself to continue. I hadn't realise it before but I was covered in blood. I raised my hand to wipe my face from the tears when I noticed that I held a sword that was drooling in blood.

“Zarachael..”

That…that was my Mother’s voice.

I sat up, gasping.

“Zarachael?” Shin’s voice called out worryingly.

I looked back to see him standing behind the guard. He was waiting impatiently to enter the cell. I turned back and raised my knees before leaning my head against them. I wanted to sit like this just to sob quietly. Seconds later, his body wrapped over me like a blanket. He didn't speak a word, allowed me to cry even louder. He stood up in silence before resting both his hands on my shoulders. With that, he laid my weak body down back onto the bed.

I closed my eyes tightly and allowed the last few tears to tumble past my cheeks towards my ears. He sat on the bed beside me, raising the covers that had slipped past down my bandaged chest and shoulder.

I had no reason to cry, or maybe because I was so confused between anger and sadness, I just exploded in tears. The scene that happened only years ago, my families death, people wanting me to die or the part where I was about to die, all collided at once. At this point, I should have completely broken down, but it was him that had kept me going. Shin.

I gradually opened my eyes, finding his forehead creased and his narrow, brown eye staring at me with much concern. His slim structured face didn't change one bit, only his built body that lingered over me with great worry. I gave him a broken smile soon after lifting my hand to scuffle his dark hair. His face softened as his eyes slowly closed with agitation.

“Shin,” I whispered, his eyes opened with little delight, “Thank you.”

I cautiously guided my hand down from his hair and stroked the side of his cheek. He sighed softly before reaching to take my hand away from his face.

“I’m sorry Zarachael. I am not here to see how well you are, or your position of well-being, but I am here to remind you of your duty.”

He used to be one of my good friends. Up until the day I was found in my family’s massacre. I know deep, down inside he doesn’t believe in the murder I had apparently caused. He still cared for me, or was that all I wanted to feel, to be cared for. I was lonely.

He stared at me with great sadness and looked down at his hands that rested in his lap, “You will be sent out tomorrow night and scout the area before coming in at two-a.m.”

I gave him a simple smile and nodded my head in agreement.

His eyes gave out that he regretted saying such things, that he seemed to hate ever leaving me alone. He stood up from the bed before letting out a loud sigh. My face turned away from him and looked towards the wall before they closed.

The cell door opened before creaking back to a close.

I wasn't the only prisoner who was sent out on missions like this. Convicts were taken care of less because we were convicts. Our leader didn't care. We would be sent on tasks such as the latest one I had been on, just to kill anyone who had seemed suspicious from outside the village.

We were given little freedom, by simply signing a contract. We will not run from the associate village we had committed our horrible deeds too. If any prisoners were to run, they would be executed immediately. Unless a neighbouring village would claim them as a citizen.

But, I could guarantee no village would accept any outsiders as a citizen at this very moment. It was because of the Great Shinobi War that had been announced.

Missions became more consistent because of the announcement. Shinobi’s from other villages tried to infiltrate our land but we continued to fight against them. Prisoners and shinobi’s of our village have begun to work together, but not enough for trust to be handled.

I closed my eyes off to the rest of the world, imagining the fight with the silver-haired man. Why hadn't he killed me? He had just made me suffer with this pain. The thought of death had seriously played itself though my mind repeatedly, even before I had fought him. My family was gone. The only people that had kept me together had been murdered. His husky voice echoed in my mind over and over, reminding me of every single moment underneath the moon. The adrenalin, the fear, even the excitement began to run through me again. I never had this feeling before, not because I wanted too, but because no one has ever gotten away from me with an unfinished battle. A shiver ran down my back as I thought of him, would we ever meet again.

My body slowly drifted away to sleep. Waking up and falling back to sleep was an awful suffering my body had to endure. It was because of the scouting I had to do. Day or night, my body still wasn't used to the idea of waking up at different times.

“1.6.7.7!” The guard called out loudly, “It’s your time for scouting!”