Chapter 28. What they call death

I stopped in my tracks and watched as Kakashi glared into the air in front of me, without me realizing it was a kunai Kakashi was trying to warn me about. Everything at that moment seemed as if it moved in slow motion.
The kunai pierced in through my skin and sank deep into my body. Blood seeped through the wounds and lingered off towards the ground.
“Ka-Kakashi…” The first words I spoke before I stumbled back into the tree.
My breathing became unbearable as the pain became stronger. I could taste the blood at the back of my throat as I stared at the ends of the kunai. I slowly slid down the tree and watched the blood conquer my clothing.
What was happening?
I looked over at Kakashi. He was fighting with extreme measures and speed with the rest of the men that had come here to attack us.
Had they been moving forwards towards us as well, had they known we were coming?

The dark clouds finally gave in and started to pour. The blood washed from my exposed skin and spread drastically over my clothing.
I looked down onto the wound and held the handle, contemplating whether or not to pull it out.
“Don’t move Zarachael!” Kakashi’s voice broke through my thoughts.
I looked over at him and couldn’t help but slowly cry.
I was going to die and I knew it. I sat myself straight and held around the wound, only hoping it would make a difference but it hadn’t. My hands began to shake. The kunai was dripping rapidly with my blood. The cool weapon was in the heat of my body, it felt like it was pulsing.
It was directed on the left side of my torso underneath the lung which it had punctured. Only within seconds had the blood became in contact with my inner throat and mouth.

No, this… this can’t be how it ends. It felt like I had only lived a short life. A life that wouldn’t be worth called a life because of the consequences I went through just to live it. Locked away since a young teen and only got my freedom back for less than two years.
Kakashi, it was you that brought me back to the light, something I had been seeking for, my freedom. You’ve won everything. You’ve won my body, soul and heart. It has been you I have been living for, waiting for. Why is it that you must see me like this?

It felt like time had slowed down when I realized Kakashi was by my side.
His shoulder was wounded and he seemed breathless, racing time to save me.
“Zarachael!” Kakashi’s scared eye was exposed but not opened.
His face only expressed words I couldn’t describe.
I looked up at him, “Kakashi I…I…”
“What Zarachael?” He looked at me helplessly.
His hands were above me only not known where to be placed.
“I’m going to die,” I covered my mouth and cried, “Just leave me while you can…”
“No. Shut up! I won’t let you go, your mine!” His voice became irritated and loud, not wanting to accept the fact.
“Stop acting as if I’m a toy Kakashi!”
The pain was disturbing but somehow it came with a calm feeling. Everything except for Kakashi and his voice began to fade.
“Zarachael,” Kakashi finally placed his hands onto me. He laid me into his arms, “Don’t leave me now, stay with me, make a family with me…”
The rain came to a drizzle as I looked at him. I began to sob as he came to hold me tighter into his arms. Kakashi was serious about me. For all those stupid moments for thinking I was naïve, he actually loved me but now, at this very moment I can only apologies to him.

“Im sorry Kakashi but it’s too late…”
“You’re my… my purpose, don’t die now…”
I was taking in deep breaths and the blood continued to build up.
“Marry me Zarachael… Be my wife…”
My stomach twisted and the pain somehow felt lifted, “Shut up,” I gave a smile as the blood seeped down the side of my mouth, “Even at a moment like this you can joke.” I giggled but blood got in the way causing me to cough.
“Our parents arranged us to marry… especially your mother and my father…” He opened his scared eye and stared at me, he was being serious.
The rain continued to fall as I stared at Kakashi, “Don’t joke about them Kakashi…”
“Why would I joke it at a time like this?”
I couldn’t tell whether he was crying or not, but his voice was out of his usual tone.
“You’re my arranged wife and I’ve only waited to tell you at the right time.”
“Is this th-”
“If you’re giving up on life than you’re giving up on me… so this is the only time!” His voice began to build louder, “I wanted to ask you after this mission but…” His voice soon lowered and his eyes were filled with sorrow, “You’re leaving me too…”
The pain Kakashi brought with those words, hurt more than the wound itself.
I covered my mouth and cried, “No, don’t say that…”
“You’re the only one who’s seen my face. You’ve lived with me and gave me your body and given me much more happiness in this life alone. They knew all along that you’d make me happy. They wanted us to be happy.”
Tears fell continuously as Kakashi held onto me.
“I’m sorry for bringing you this much pain Kakashi…”
He pulled down his mask and placed his lips gently over mine, “I love you Zarachael…”
“I love you too…”

My eyes began to droop soon realizing I was slowly drifting off to sleep.
“Zarachael! Stay with me, don’t go!” Kakashi began to tap the side of my cheek, his mask back on his face.
“Kakashi Sensei!” A voice yelled from in the distance.
“Naruto!” Kakashi placed me carefully over onto the trunk of the tree and stood onto his feet heading towards Naruto.

My vision became blurred and it slowly turned dark, was it night time already?
I know I was awake, but Kakashi and Naruto were just in front of me a moment ago.
My body felt cold without Kakashi, I felt stiffened and I had lost a lot of blood. I was on the verge of death… or had I already died.
Voices called from in the darkness when the warmth came back. He was calling my name again.
I slowly came to open my eyes to see Kakashi holding onto me tighter.
“Keep breathing, stay awake. They’ll be here soon.”
“Kakashi I’m tired, can you let me sleep in your arms…”
“I can’t let you, not here, not yet…” He began to rub my shoulder, warming me with his heated palm.
The rain continued to drizzle, “Thank you for everything...”
“Zarachael answer me first!” His voice was on edge, “Will you marry me?”
I gave a weakened smile and tried to lift my fragile hand to his face. I couldn’t reach him and I was about to retreat when he took ahold and brought it to his cheek, closing his eyes to my cold touch.
“Yes…” I was breathing for the last few times before I was going to die, my eyes began to droop heavily that it was hard to stay awake, “But in the next life... Kakashi I love…you…alwa…”

It was dark and the warmth of his body disappeared. I could only guess this is what they call death.