Chapter 11. Safety

I sat by the dying fire and rehearsed over in my head what I was going to say. He hadn’t returned and everything seemed to be quiet when I noticed that the sun was peeking over the horizon. He had been gone for a while now.

I got onto my feet heavily and followed the path he took last night before disappearing completely.

In my mind I was angry, everything went wrong ever since my family died. Nothing went right, and since it seemed as if I escaped death again with someone, I seemed to always be alone at the end.

The sky was cloudless as the sun made its way higher into the sky. I wanted to call out his name when I stumbled upon a path. This path wasn’t just a walk way, but the boundary to another village territory. Had Shin brought me here to escape?

I slowly felt my legs tremble and hands curl into a fist. Did he seriously think that he could get away from me that easily?

I turned from the path and back to the forest when a shuriken missed past my head. I looked at the direction and saw a ninja. He wore the Hidden Leaf Village head band. I gasped in fear and stood frozen as he made his way down from the tree in an instant.

He gripped my neck instantaneous, pushing me against the tree, “I got one!” he whispered.

He tightened his hand around my neck and watched me struggle as I dug my nails into his forearms. I closed my eyes shut and focused myself to become more subtle before kicking at his ribs.

He knelt forward, “You bitc-”

I slammed my foot into his face and watched him fall back into the path before I found myself punching him repeatedly. I sat myself on top of him and watched in horror at what I had done.

“Zarachael…” He stood behind me as he took one of my hands causing me to stand up, “I won’t… leave you again…”

I turned to face Shin and slapped him hard across the face, “Enough!”

The thought of killing someone with my hands instead of a sword, and being able to see the brutality of it engrossed in me. Shin’s face straighter and his piercing eyes glared at me. He took me by the wrist and walked back into the forest.

“Shin let go, you’re hurting me!”

“Zarachael you want to know the truth?!” He turned to face me and grabbed me by the collar.

His face was straight and his jaws were tensed, “Do you want to know why your family died?”

Tears began to well up in my eyes, “You…you did it!”

I jerked at his grip but I couldn’t get loose.

“Zarachael, you should have died that day but I begged my father to spare you!”

“No you’re lying! The Village Leaders not your father!”

I squirmed and jerked at his hold but nothing had change, “Le-let me go Shin!”

“Zarachael, I wanted you to stay by my side. When we were kids I had always admired you, and from then on… I had grown up only to love you.”

I stopped and stared at him in slight agitation. This can’t be true, no it can’t. He loosened his grip and took hold of my waist, trapping me against a tree.

He leaned in, “STOP SHIN I DON’T WANT THIS!”

Everything that I wanted was laid out simply in front of me. Shin had been the one who I had loved, but not the man I had been seeking for.

There was a sharp crunch that came from above us, “Shin you conniving idiot!”

Kakashi jumped down at him, but Shin strode back. Kakashi held out his sword in front of him and glared at him. I stood from behind and wiped my mouth to get rid of his taste.

Shin touched his lips tenderly and closed his eyes. I could feel Kakashi tense up before throwing himself at Shin with his sword held high above his head.

Shin brought out a kunai and started to battle against Kakashi, swiftly and quick.

The thought of this fight reminded me of it somewhere before, like I had relived this moment years ago, when I was only a child.

“Kakashi… I remember now…”