Chapter 13

DANNIE'S P.O.V

Locked room. Headphones on. World out. Disgusting look. Unworthy self.

"Sweetheart... Please eat something. I've put sandwiches from last night yet you haven't touched a thing."

Mom. Again. She checked every five minutes. Worst day at that senior party has held me from going out or seeing people. I was bowing my head at people's command and look what we have now. I was this close to being raped. I thought Adam was that one sweet kind guy, a big brother, a new hope, that I trusted him for so many reasons. Why wouldn't I. Turns out my guts brought me to the wrong way.

"Leave me alone."

"You should eat..."

"No!"

The pictures from that night was floating around in my mind. The way he put his hands on me inappropriately, it couldn't be worst. He got me to the lowest point of life. Being here, and just had the worst experience ever imagined.

I need Toby.

First ring, didn't make it. He must be busy. Second ring, still hoping, but no luck. After a while, I gave up.

I didn't know how long I passed out. Last time I remember I was locking myself in my room. Now I just woke up to Mom and Dad's worried face toward me.

"Dan... Dannie oh my God!"

What? I looked around. Why hysterically screamed?

"You're not doing this!" Dad took something from my hand. "Listen, Dannie! You're not cutting yourself!"

I dropped my jaws. Looked down to my bleeding hand. I cut myself? Didn't realize I did that. I swear. I was passing out from crying over night. But after a while, bleeding didn't stop and I felt the worst ache from the bruises.

"Has she lately been feeling tortured? Something happened?"

The family doctor my Dad brought in spoke as he checked on my bruise. I faked a sleepy gesture to avoid questions.

"She's..." Dad stuttered. I just blinked a tear.

"Having a tough day at school." Mom finished it for him.

"Too tough I bet." Doctor wrapped my bruised arm to stop the bleeding. "Something went wrong beyond her reach. I suggest you to rest her at home. Give her good environment. Teenagers tend to repeat their habit once they figure out the way to do it."

"You mean she might be cutting herself again?" Mom whispered in her weak cracky voice.

"I'm afraid so. It's psychological issue we have here. Parents have to pay attention." I heard Doctor taking his equipment. "Don't force."

I smiled between my tears and fake sleep pose. Finally. An expert said it all. My parents were too busy building up a new life here in Laredo, that they forgot they have me, 16-year-old insecure daughter who's close to be raped by a group of strangers. I found out later on Adam's Instagram earlier posts that he and Wes have been best friends since few years ago. And Adam wasn't the best guy I thought he was. Stumbled on so many self control issue, he'd been arrested couple times. I was just too dumb not to check his background at the first place. He didn't just do writing. All those heavy talks were lies.

Once my parents left me alone, I picked up my phone back to dial Toby. Still no answer. I was devastated. My mind told me to leave this city soon as possible. But honestly though, would my parents listen?