Chapter Twenty-Six: Brian

The next morning Zacky had decided that he wanted some fresh air and a bit of time alone. So he left for a walk, leaving me stuck at home.

I was alone other than Suzy and Kenna, but they were still enough to annoy the shit out of me.

While Kenna was taking a nap, Suzy walked into the living room, sitting next to me on the couch.

"I got a call today." She said, which didn't really get my attention.

"From a woman I used to know. Maria Baker." Now this caught my attention.

I turned to her, trying to hide the fact that I was actually terrified of what she was about to say. She bit her lip, looking at her hands, which laid in her lap.

"She says that," Suzy paused, her eyes meeting mine again, "Zachary is your boyfriend?"

I stayed silent, trying ignore the pounding of my heart. I didn't know what to say.

She sighed, "Brian, why didn't you just tell us?"

"Because you would have hated me." I scoffed, breaking our gaze. "But it doesn't matter anymore. Because you know now."

"I don't hate you. And neither will your father. Obviously I'm surprised by this. And I'm sure he will be too. But-"

"No." I interrupted, "You can't tell dad."

"We can't just keep your relationship with this boy a secret forever."

I bit my lip, glancing around the room and trying my best not to make eye contact.

"Brian, I get it if you really think you have feelings for him. But I don't want you to have a rough time and then look back and regret everything. And I don't want other kids to be tormenting you."

I was getting a bit pissed off, "It's more than just feelings, Suzy. I love Zacky. And I will never, never, regret our relationship. And quite frankly, I don't give a shit what other people think about us. I'm not gonna let some immature freaks try to tear us apart by calling us names."

Suzy seemed slightly surprised, "Okay, Brian. Good luck with him. And for now, we'll keep this a secret from your father." She let out a small sigh. It was a choice she really did not want to make.

She then left the room, leaving me to ponder.

Why would she need to wish me luck?

~*~

Zacky returned from his walk and met me on the porch, where I decided to wait for him.

He sat next to me on the steps, leaning on my shoulder.

I took a deep breath, "Your mom called Suzy."

I felt Zacky tense. He knew what I was going to say next.

"She told her about us."

His beautiful emerald eyes met mine, filled with fear, "How did she react?"

"A lot better than I thought she would. She was just mainly worried about what people would think about us." I answered, intertwining my fingers with his.

"And your dad?" He asked.

I shook my head, "He doesn't know yet. Suzy and I are gonna keep it away from him. Probably until I'm 18 and am able to move out."

Zacky nodded, "Good." Then, he squeezed my hand and kissed me.

Even after all those times, my heart still raced whenever our lips met. I'd just get this feeling of love, with different mixed emotions that I didn't even know how to explain. But it felt wonderful. And I still found a blush forming on my cheeks when Zacky whispered sweet nothings in my ear. Or when he told me he loved me.

I wondered if he felt the same way. If it felt like little fireworks were exploding in his head every time we kissed.

But now we had to worry about Zacky's family. Wonder when he would be able to go back, or if he ever could. And we had to be careful around my father. We had to make sure our little secret was kept from him. It seemed like he was the only one who didn't know.

On top of that, we had the band. Well, he did. I had a solo. Which I was finally getting close to completing.

Just then, I recognized my dad's car turning onto our street. I nudged Zacky, letting go of his hand. He followed my gaze to the car and scooted away from me.

I held my breath, fearful that my dad had seen how close Zacky and I had been. But when he pulled into the driveway and got out of his car, he stayed silent. For a moment I thought I saw him furrow his eyebrows, but then I shook it off, as he walked past us and into the house.

Zacky let out a small sigh of relief, "That was a close one."

Though, I still wasn't certain that my father hadn't seen anything.