5. Wake up call

I woke up to some dick pounding on my door. I was supposed to be getting adjusted to Ruth's sleeping schedule but I guess that wasn't going to happen. Chopping wood had wore me out and I had fallen asleep before midnight. I glanced at the clock and it was four in the morning. The pounding at my door came again and then I heard Richard. I knew it was a dick at the door.

"Rise and shine princess. Master Ruth requests your presence in her private chambers."

If I wasn't awake before I sure was now. Only a few had ever seen her private chambers, and they never lived that long. I jumped up and swung my door wide.

"Let me know what it's like in there, if you live." Richard was grinning at me, his vampire nature shining through.

"Do you know what she wants?"

"I'm hoping your head on a platter. I am beyond tired of having to watch you. But honestly I don't know what she wants from you." Richard turned and walked away.

No one went near her quarters without invitation. I could hear my heart in my ears thudding at high rhythm. I inhaled a large breath slow and deep to calm myself. I threw on a pair of dark wash jeans and a white v neck and left the comfort of my room.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knocked on the door quietly. I hadn't seen anyone on this side of the wing. I wondered how it managed to stay so clean if no one was allowed on this side. I knocked again but there was no answer. I really didn't want to piss Master Ruth off. If she requested for me then I had to be here. Unless Richard had lied, telling me to be here when really he was sending me to my death. Richard was a jerk, but I don't think he would do that to me.

I reached out for the cold handle and turned the knob, opening the door slowly. The room was just like the rest of the house, elegant and refined. Old things that looked new located around the walls in warm colors. It made this space more inviting then the rest of the house. I stepped quietly through the entryway into the main greeting area.

My movements stopped and I watched with wide eyes at the rise and fall of her chest. Ruth was asleep on the couch. Papers were scattered over the table and some lay over her body. She looked so innocent, like she was the sweetest creature. Her closed eyes were hiding the fire that burned in them. Fuck, I didn't know what to do.

I couldn't leave once I had been summoned until she had dismissed me. Watching her sleep might piss her off. I really really did not want to wake her. I had no idea if she was a morning person, or the kind that threw punches before opening their eyes. Yeah, I'm totally not going to wake her, but I couldn't leave either. I sighed.

I softly padded over to her and pulled the papers from under her hand and set them on the table. I looked upon her sleeping face once more before slowly cradling her in my arms. Her long dark lashes didn't move away from her cheeks as I pulled her to my chest. I never realized how small she was. She couldn't weigh more than a buck twenty wet. I tightened my hold on her, moving her to her bed.

I set her gently down, still not wanting to wake her. She rolled over on to her side and her silk robe fell open slightly, exposing skin that I was sure I was not meant to see. I held my breath and froze, waiting for her breathing to return to a slow shallow rhythm. When I felt comfortable, I pulled the duvet over her, tucking her in up to her chin. I let out the breath I forgot I was holding and straightened my back. Now what should I do? I looked around the room and spotted a high backed chair. I picked it up and set it closer to her bedside, but still out of reach of any swinging arms, just in case.

I sat back and slouched, resting my chin against a closed fist. She had just fallen asleep, so I was going to be here for a while. I yawned and turned my attention back on her, back on the bed. Man I would give anything to crawl into that bed with her and fall asleep with her wrapped around me.

Double up dates for my birthday tomorrow! You're welcome besh