17. Master

Opening the door I smelled bleach and it was a wonderful scent.

"Time for a bre...."  One of the humans had Diamond pinned down and was laying into her.  I dropped my water bottle and jerked the girl off of Diamond and threw her against the wall.  Her head smacked the concrete and left and bloody smear as her body slumped down.  I pulled Diamond up and looked her over.  She was going to have a black eye for sure.  Her lip was busted and bleeding and her eye was swelling shut.

"YOU'RE NOT HERE TO FIGHT!" I yelled at everyone in the room.  "IF I SEE THIS SHIT AGIAN, YOU ALL WILL BE BLEED."  I let Diamond go and she stood on her own.  My anger calmed itself a little but I was still on edge.  "Take a fifteen and get back to work."  I left with the door open so I could monitor them.  I found Ted in his office and told him what happened.  He pulled the brown haired kid who had killed a human earlier and had him dispose of the body.  Ted looked at the crumpled form on the ground then at me in disbelief.  In my anger, I had forgotten to hold myself back.  I was still a big guy though, I hoped he bought that I was strong enough to do that.  I picked one out of the cages and told him what to do.  He was an older man.  I was surprised he was still alive.  He looked to be almost forty.

"Get cleaned up then start working in the kitchen."

"Yes Master."  The old coot thought I was a vamp.  Oh well, at least he knew I was in charge.  I walked to check the bathrooms and they had made quick work.  Toilets and stalls had been removed.  The mirrors were gone along with the rusty paper towel dispensers.  We just needed two sinks in the mens and one in the women's.  Half the floor tile was missing already and with the jack hammer it should go smoothly.

By the end of the day, most of the demo was done.  The kitchen was two thirds finished and the only thing left was the keeper's room.  Everyone was grabbing their things and heading out.  I pulled Dan to the side.

"Come with me."  She set her things back down on the bar top and followed me to the kitchen.  I stood in front of Diamond.  Her face had swollen up quite a bit.  Her eye was a deep purple and her lip had scabbed over.  I felt Dan flinch behind me at the sight of the girl.

"Have you thought anymore about my proposal?"

Diamond didn't answer me.

"Answer me now or I will make the decision for you."  I was stern and held back my annoyance.
"I want a contract drawn up.  Mandatory five years of employment of some kind at this club that doesn't involve pain or blood."

"That can be arranged.  This is Dan.  She is the choreographer and lead dancer.  You will be staying with her tonight.  You will be coming back tomorrow with her and finishing up the demo.  While we rebuild, she will be teaching how to move."  I turned to Dan who looked a little shocked.  "Dan I want you to start working with the other dancers, but focus on her to get her where she needs to be.  You can work out living arrangements later, but you will be getting paid to train her, so make sure she doesn't run away."

"Yes sir."

I turned back to the punching bag.  "Diamond, I want you to be respectful of Dan.  If I find out you are making it hard on her I will kill you myself.  She is the reason why you have this opportunity."

"Diamond?  That's not my name."

"It is now.  Call it a stage name."  I paused for a second when I heard a sizzle and a wonderful smell crept into my nose.  I walked over to the old coot who was cooking steak and lobster.

"What are you making Cooter?"  I guess I'm giving everyone nicknames today.

"Sirloin, taters, asparagus, lobster bisque, dinner rolls, and mac and cheese.  There's no fresh produce really."

"How long you been a cook for?"

"All my life.  I cooked for my old Master's pets, but one of his pets killed 'em and I was sent to auction."

"Dan"  I called out over my shoulder.  "You're taking Cooter here home with you too.  He's the new master chef."

"How big do you think my house is?" She asked playfully.

"You'll need him to fatten Diamond up."  I turned back to Coot  "Take whatever food you want home with you and cook for the girls at least once a day."

"Yes Master."

I snagged a dinner roll and left.  Ted was still there, locking up the humans that would stay.  Diamond, Dan, and old coot were handing out plates through the cages.

I know it's subtle, so I will point it out for some of those readers who don't pay attention to detail.  (Me when I get too excited or too bored with a book)  Stoic is getting stronger, His hearing is getting better and now he is showing less remorse.