12. Changes

Half an hour later, most of the employees were here ready for the announcement.  I looked at Ruth silently asking her if she wanted to lead.  She held out her hand to give me the go ahead.  I nodded and fought back my smile.  I was going to win this shit.

    "My lovely Master Ruth is the new owner of this building."  I heard a few gasps when I said Master, confirming that I am human.  "The business is failing." Before I could continue, a blond girl burst through the doors.  "I'm so sorry I'm late, I had to find a sitter for my kid." 

    I don't remember seeing a human employed here.  There is no way a girl like that would stand a chance in a restaurant serving humans as food.  "Thank you for gracing us with your presence ms...."

    "It's just Dan."

    I narrowed my eyes at her and continued, looking at the faces of the others.  "Master Ruth has decided to turn this place back into a night club.  Some of you will be moved into other positions.  If you do not want to work at such a place you are free to leave at anytime.  Speaking of leaving, Frank and Cindy, you are both free to leave.  You can pick up you last check on Friday."

    Cindy scoffed in the background and Frank was cursing up a mad storm, kicking chairs and knocking over tables.  I ignored them and kept going.  "Ted, you have been in this building the longest, and have a good track record.  You're being promoted to the manager position.  Find someone better than Nate to replace you.  Martha, you will be the head of house, over the wait staff."

    "Becky you're fired bitch!"

    I was taken aback by Matha's outburst, but Ruth nodded to confirm and an older black haired girl left the back of the group.  "Ruddy, I saw in you resume that you had some carpentry experience?"

    Ruddy replied.  "Yes, I do." with confidence.

    "I want you to oversee the demo.  You will start on the next shift and I will have plans sent to you.  Any of you who would like to get paid for the next few days will have to help with demo.  It will take a ten days to get this place up and running again and that is ten days without pay."  I heard some groans.  "Ted, Ruddy, and Martha, we will be in contact with you to go over plans.  If you have any input or questions, please inform myself or Master Ruth.  The rest of you are free to go home.  We hope to see you tomorrow."  The small crowd dissipated and I caught Dan's arm and pulled her to the side.

    "I don't remember seeing your name in the files.  What is your position here?"

    Dan jerked her arm out of my grip.  "I was Frank's lap dog if you have to know.  I was paid under the table. But I guess I don't have a job anymore, and no one to protect me while I am at work."

    For such a skinny little thing, she sure had spunk.  I eyed her for a moment. "What all can you do?"

    "I'm a dancer." she spoke so quietly I barely heard her.

    "What?"

    "I said I'm a dancer okay.  Like stripper.  That's where Frank found me and it looks like that's where I'm going back to."

    I looked at her body, That explains why it looked like she didn't have a kid.  All those hours on the pole keeping her muscles tight.

    "Give me your number and I can try to work something out for you.  I have an idea but I have to run it pass Master Ruth first.  You will know by tomorrow night.  You can still work here and help out with demo.  I will let Ted know."

    She wrote down her name and number on a napkin and handed it to me.  "Thanks."

    I nodded and she left.  I walked back over to Master Ruth and Steven, who were talking to Ted, Ruddy, and Martha.  The three were excited about the changes that had happened tonight, and were discussing between themselves about things they wanted to see happen.  I Interrupted them.  "Did anyone know about Dan and what it is she actually does here?"

    Martha spoke up.  "She was Frank's slave.  He made her do all kinds of embarrassing crap.  When he couldn't afford her anymore, he started taking money from the tills.  That's when I pulled up paperwork to get her employed here.  Something for a paper trail when the health inspectors came in.  When he isn't busy with her, she usually cleans and helps us out, staying out of the way."

    I looked to Master Ruth who seemed unaffected by the matter.  If she didn't want to make this right I would.  "I offered her a temporary job to help with demo.  Ted I want you to make sure she is as safe as the rest of you."

    Ted nodded.

    "As entertaining as this has been, I have other matters to attend to." Master Ruth offered her hand to the trio, as did Steven.  I kept mine to myself as a matter of respect.  I am, a human after all.