Chapter 15- Shadow

P.O.V Eleanor

As quickly as it happened, Pan pulled away. I stared at him wide-eyed but I could barely see his face in the shadows, I'm sure he could only see the same of mine. "P-Peter?"

If he was ever surprised at himself, I never saw it on what I could see of his face. From what I could tell his expression was hard and he didn't look at me. "You call me Pan."

"But Peter," I was interrupted by a strong hand planted firmly on my face. He held my face firmly and made me look at him.

"Did you not here me?" His voice was stern, as though I had done wrong, not he.

"You kissed me! I have a right to be shocked." I pulled away from his rough grasp and crossed my arms defiantly. "What was that all about?"

He locked his jaw and stared intently at my waiting face. The darkness casting eerie shadows on his face making him look extremely intimidating. "Look, Eleanor," he said with a pause. "That shouldn't have happened. No one can know about it. Forget about it."

"I just can't forget about it, Pan."

"I can make you then." He then began to run a slightly glowing hand over my head. I grabbed said hand firmly, stopping him. "Eleanor," he said looking down at me but before he could say anything more, I cut him off.

"No. I believe you misunderstood me."  I pulled my hand away from his, finger tips brushing the soft skin of his inner wrist. The connection sent a soft tingle up my arm. I knew I shouldn't have feelings for the boy in front of me, but he had entranced me. A bit shyly I said,
"I don't want to forget."

Everything around us was silent and I was scared to say anything at all. I couldn't read the expression on Peter's face, which irritated me to a certain extent. He was always so mysterious. Finally, he spoke. "That is not the reason we are here, we have other matters to attend to." As quickly as the topic of the kiss had come, it vanished just as fast.

"Why are we here then? You said to me you could prove I am not who I believe I am. Well show me," I said, gesturing around with my arms, my words laced with aggravation and irritation.

"Watch your tone," he glared and I glared back. "We're waiting on the Shadow. He's been here longer than anyone, even me. He knew The Girl of Neverland, Eleanor."

"So what you're telling me is that a shadow is your evidence? Peter Pan you are absolutely preposterous."

"Enough!" He shouted in frustration, I was pushing it and I knew it. "Listen, Eleanor. You and I both know that no female has been born with the magic of the Caelites. This being said, how did you, a female, obtain the power?" He asked and I didn't have a valid argument against what he was saying. I racked my brain for an answer but nothing seemed reasonable enough, just saying I was special did not cut it. I simply shrugged, unsure of that else I could do. He smirked smugly, "Exactly. Now tell me, El, what do you remember about your life back in your kingdom?"

I let out a barely audible gasp. I hadn't thought much about my life back in my kingdom these past few months. I had been distracted by the enchantment of freedom and adventure. "I spent much of my time at the river, washing clothing. The time I was not there I was in the house, cooking or cleaning."

He nodded but it didn't hold much emotion at all. "Do you remember faces, at all?"

I thought about my parents and my siblings. I closed my eyes, trying to imagine their faces. Realization struck soon there after.  I could see them standing with me in my memories but their faces were very blurred. All but Ezra's. My eldest brother. "I-I can't see their faces," I opened my eyes worriedly. "Why can I only imagine my brother's face?" I felt tears sting my eyes, threatening to spill over.

Pan put a strong hand on my shoulder. His way of comforting me. His lips pulled into a thin line. I knew what that meant. Bad news.

"Someone had cast a curse on you," said a masculine voice. It wasn't Peter whom I was staring right at him. "That hound you were chasing when Pan found you was how you broke out. Your said brother, Ezra, wasn't your brother. He was most likely a warlock under hire of the Queen of Hearts."

I was in a state of shock not just from the information, but the strange and human-like figure of flying darkness. It resembled the look of a shadow and I must have just seen the Shadow Pan was talking about. I felt suddenly cold and pulled my cloak tight around my shoulders. Pan took notice, but didn't say anything to me or him. I felt a spark of confidence strike and spoke without falter. "You are the Shadow. Pan told me you were the proof that I am the Girl of Neverland, is this true?"

The figure had no mouth but I could clearly hear him speak, his glowing white eyes the only source of light. "It is not false. You look just like her, you know. Come here, Eleanor," he beckoned me closer and I moved without hesitation.

He laid a spectral hand on my forehead and I shuddered, closing my eyes. I grew colder, but couldn't move, as images flashed behind my eyelids. A girl. Me? No. It was E. A boat. An island in the distance, presumably Neverland. Magic, very much like my own. Invasions. Fierce battles. Dreamshade. The girl lying dead on the sandy beach of the East Shore. The same sand I had nearly killed a man.

I took a sharp inhale of air and forced my eyes open, falling to the ground in the process. I had forgotten to breathe. "She looked like me," I gasped, my eyes wide and attentive.

"No. You look like her," the shadow said blatantly, hovering over me.

"Have we made you believe yet?" Pan asked. He had moved from his spot against a tree to kneeling in front of me.

I nodded, but I had one major question. "How long ago did she... when did she die?"

Peter and Shadow exchanged a glance and my eyes darted between the two of them. Neverland couldn't have been protected without her, but I never saw Peter in the vision at all. "Tell me," I demand, my voice coming out much stronger and much more powerful than it has ever sounded before. I was almost scared of myself.

"She's been gone for two hundred years."

•••
A/N

• I'm so sorry about the delay. AGAIN. School starts in a few weeks and my schedule has been packed with appointments, finding potential colleges (which is challenging living overseas), and other things of the sort.

If you did enjoy this chapter, please consider giving it a vote and drop a comment, I'd love to hear from all you lovely readers!

I know it's a bit belated but this story almost has 800 reads! That's so many more than I was ever expecting! Thank you all so very much! I send my love to you all!

As always,
~Stay Lovely~