Chapter 21- But Here You Are

P.O.V Peter Pan

She took a sudden breath.

I spun on my knees to face her, eyes wide, and breath caught in my lungs. I hadn't imagined it. She took a breath and was now staring wide eyed at my concerned face. She was alive. I was beyond myself and wasn't thinking clearly. My brain was on a loop of she's alive! She's alive! She's alive! She was breathing and was alive!

She stared at me, her silver-blue eyes darting around my face. My green ones taking in every inch of her face. Her long eyelashes, her scared but beautiful eyes. I couldn't help myself and crashed my lips to hers. Her soft lips parted in another gasp and I pulled away. "Eleanor I-"

"I-it's fine," she said, her cheeks flushing slightly. "What happened to me?" She sat up shakily, and I moved to sit cautiously on the edge of the cot.

"When you fell down the tree trunk, you fell into a patch of dreamshade. It's thorns cut so deep it's poison got into your femoral artery and spread really quickly. I couldn't eat the remedy to you in time. You died. " I told her, staring at the opposite wall. "But yet here you are and I'm not sure how."

We sat in silence for a while. I couldn't look at her, my eyes were still burning. Eleanor moved to sit next me and pulled her knees to her chest, resting her head against the tops of her knees while glancing over at me. She was regaining her strength quickly which was always a good sign. "Peter....Were you crying?" She was taking the entirety of the situation too easily and it just felt wrong. I surly wouldn't have taken it as easily as she was.

I didn't say anything back, just fell back onto the cot, hands over my face. What was I supposed to say to her? Yes?

"You were," she said, taking a deep breath, "I can feel it Peter. Your wavelengths are weird."

"I forgot you could do that," I chuckled dryly and moved my hands from my face so I could she her. "Yes, Eleanor, I was crying."

"Why?"

"If you haven't realized yet, I care for you. You could even say I love you Eleanor." I sat up and mimicked her posture, sighing. "And I know you feel nothing for me, I'm a monster." I didn't know why I was telling her this, I figured it was something she was doing to me.

"Pan," she tried to interrupt me but I couldn't stop myself.

"Eleanor, I'm a horrible person. I locked you in a cage!" I stood up, trying to get myself away from her before I could do something rash.

"Pan!" She tried again, to no avail, sitting up straight now.

"No, Eleanor! I-I I was awful! I AM awful! You don't have a shadow. I've taken your heart before!" I rambled on and on.

Suddenly she stood up and threw herself into me. "Peter! Shut up! It's okay. I love you too." She all but screams at me before crashing her lips onto mine.