Part 2

Joey pulled away from our kiss.  When her lips left mine, I felt like a cold water downpour on me.  She suddenly stood up, seem shocked or maybe scared.  I really don't know what is running inside her head.  Should I apologize? Gosh! How do I redeem myself from what I have done? Slowly I looked up and saw her standing blankly, "Joey?" I whispered but no response from her.  I stood up and tried to look into her eyes but she avoided mine.  "Joey, please look at me." I uttered while holding up her chin so she could finally see me in the eyes.  She has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen, looking through it is like seeing her soul.  I see a more scared Joey, she probably never got into this situation before. "I'm sorry, Joey.  Whatever I made you feel right now, please forgive me.  I don't know what you are thinking, whatever it is, I'm so sorry."  I cry out and she's still not talking to me.  "Joey, I am so happy to finally found you.  I'm sorry for kissing you but I want you to know that I don't regret it so please don't push me away.  Let's be friends. Joey! Please say something."  I got scared too for my actions, scared of rejection, scared of losing her. My tears begin to fall from my eyes.

"Meg...I'm okay."  She uttered.  She then embraced me for a while and said, "I don't know what to say to you.  All I know right now is I don't want to lose you."  Tears filled her eyes.

With her few words I get what she meant she may be confused or having mixed emotions.  But it relieved me to hear she doesn't want to lose me...even as a friend I will gladly accept it. "Friends?" I asked her. She nodded.  "Thank you, Joey.  Uhm, I think I'd better be going.  I still have work tomorrow."  I told her.  "Thanks for this." She said holding up the flash drive.  "You are welcome."  I answered. "How about an awkward hug before I leave?" I said to her just trying to make her smile. I succeeded.  She smiled and gave me a hug but it wasn't awkward anymore.

"Goodnight, Meg."

"Goodnight, Joey."

===

Working night shift today, from 7:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M.  Earlier, I spent hours of thinking about the kiss and how it made me feel.  I spent a lot of hours thinking of Meg and why I can't get her off my head since the first time I saw her.  I am really scared of what I am feeling right now.  All my life I have been searching for answers.  I was in a long tunnel so dark and suffocating. And when at last I see the light I was scared to go out.  I got used to this dark and suffocating world and I am not sure what awaits me in the end of the tunnel.

Time to go rounds to my patients.  I have this patient, she's been here for about a week now.  Her name is Dorothy, she's 60 years old but she doesn't look her age.  She's still very pretty and she's a Filipina. She was confined because she's been complaining body pain.  As I check her vital signs, I asked her, "Where is your friend or sister that's been taking care of you?"  "I told her to go home and take some rest first.  By the way, she's my partner, we are a couple." Dorothy exclaimed.  I stammer a bit when she admitted that they are a couple, "W-wow, I am speechless, Dorothy."  "Joey dear, I know you are shocked. How long have you been here in NYC?"  Dorothy asked.  "About a month." I answered.  "I see." She said, like saying to me that's why I think like this.  I just did not see two women ending up together and spending their lifetime in each other's arms. "Dorothy, how long have you been together if I may ask?" 

"Joan and I have been together for 30 years now.  In those 30 years we have fought, we separated, we broke each other's hearts, we got back together, and then we fight again and be reconciled.  I love her and I am sure she loves me too, that's why we stay in this relationship."  Dorothy's words full of love and maturity.

"But how about your family in the Philippines, did they approve of it?"  Gosh, what have I been asking to this lady!

"At first no but they have learned to accept us but not everybody in the family approves of it, I just have to accept that I cannot please everyone.  But you know what the hardest part is?" Dorothy continued.