Part 16

Hi guys,

You know the drill, comment and vote please :))) haha

Thanks loves :*)

===

Who would have thought that I will be lying on this hospital bed?  I am supposed to be taking care of my patients now, but I became a patient myself.  My heart breaks seeing Meg worry.  I hate to see her crying.  Meg is lying down beside me sleeping.  I know that it is not allowed but I think I can manage that.  I work here in this hospital. While she sleeps, I think of the things why I got sick.  It must be the weather, plus working 12 hours for 6 days straight.  My 2 Filipina co-nurses asked me a favor to take their shifts because they have an appointment at the Philippine Embassy.  Since they are my friends I gladly accepted their favor.  Meg, woke up.  I smiled at her.  I'm trying to convince her with my smiles that I am fine.

"Hey! Why are you not sleeping?  You should be resting, baby!"

Well, my smiles didn't work.  I got scolded by my worried girlfriend.  "I can't sleep, babe.  Body clock, I guess."  I used to sleep during the day, that's why sleep hasn't found me yet.

"I wonder why your lab results hasn't released yet.  It's almost morning."  Meg stood up and got off from the bed.  "Do you want anything to eat?  Is there something that you are not allowed to take?"

"I am fine, babe. Come here, just sit here with me."  I tap the right side of the bed and plead her with my eyes.

"Oh, Joey. Don't look at me that way."  She went back to my bed and sat next to me.  Her hand runs through my hair, while her other hand entwined with mine.  Her touches were soothing not just to my body pain but also to my heart.  "So, how did you get sick my dear girlfriend?"

When she asked that I felt like an NYPD officer started to interrogate me.  I smiled in my thoughts.  "Uhm, I went 6 days straight duty, babe."  I don't think my charm would work with Meg right now.

"What? Joey? Why, babe?"  Her tone wasn't angry at all.  She sounded worried.

"I had to fill in for my 2 co-nurses, babe.  They are my friends so I said yes."  I explained.

She just stared at me like an angry mother and I felt like a little child being scolded.  "I promise I won't do that again.  Babe?"

We are in this moment when our eyes meet and there is nothing else in your mind just the girl in front of you.  I just now noticed that she's in her sleeping clothes and her robe.  Her gazes says, I am here now.  I'll take care of you.  She begins to eye on my lips and my heart starts to beat faster.  She slowly leans down, I closed my eyes.

We heard a knock on the door. Our heart jumps seeing the door opens.  It was Nurse Kelly my supervisor and Dr. Williams.  Meg got off the bed and sat straight on the chair next to my bed.  We almost burst into laugh being caught in that moment. 

"Morning Joey.  Good morning Miss Meg."  Dr. Williams greeted us.  Miss Kelly checks my stats and IV fluid.  She also greeted us smiling.  So he was my attending physician.  I wonder how Meg reacted when Dr. Williams approached her.

"Good morning Dr. Frederic.  So how was Joey's tests?"

"Laboratory tests are normal and X-rays were normal too.  I thought she has pneumonia but her x-ray shows her lungs are in perfect condition.  But she has viral infection now due low immune system.  Joey needs 7 days of medication and rest.  I think she knows what to do."

Meg listens to him attentively.  I think she's still processing all the medical terms she heard from Dr. Williams.  Dr. Williams puts on his stethoscope first to my back and next to my chest.  Carefully examines my breathing.  Meg was silently watching.