Chapter Three

The clock on the nightstand between Noah Czerny's bed and that of Ronan Lynch reads 4:32 a.m. But despite the time and knowledge of school in the morning, Ronan Lynch lies awake in his bed staring at his roommates sleeping form. Who could you possibly be afraid of Noah? Who out there could be more scary than I am?  Why did you run away from Blue and me? We could help you man. We are going to help you, Ronan thinks.

Ronan hears Noah's bed creak as he turns and rustles around whimpering in his sleep. Ronan narrows his eyebrows in concern. It looks like I'm not the only one with nightmares now, Ronan thinks sadly.

Moments later a soft voice speaks through the darkness, "Stop staring at me Ronan."

"I just saved your life. I think I have the right to stare at you," Ronan says harshly.

"That's not how that works," Noah says defensively, turning on his side he faces Ronan now.

Ronan does likewise and glares at the faint outline of his roommate. "Why do you have to be so secretive about this?!"

"Maybe because it's a secret!" Noah snaps back.

Huffing Ronan shakes his head. "Then just go back to bed Noah. I'm not going to make you tell me what's up but I'll find out if I have to."

"It doesn't even matter. I told you back on the roof I freaked out over nothing. What does it matter to you anyways? We've only just met," Noah states mildly.

"I guess nearly seeing someone die makes you feel for them," Ronan states.

A pause sneaks it's way into the conversation. This pause soon becomes a defining silence that neither Noah or Ronan can find the will to break. So in defeat, Ronan turns to stare at the ceiling until either sleep can take hold of him or the sun rises. Noah also gives in and turns to face the wall, hoping that this will all blow over as the sun rises, and that what he had seen truly wasn't there. That the figure he has tried so hard to avoid has finally found him. The thought of seeing his face again, up close, is enough to give Noah nightmares.

******6:00a.m.******

"Blue.Blue.Blue?Blue! You have to get up!" Neeve shouts impatiently while shaking the sleeping Blue's arm. "You need to get ready for classes!"

"Uggh mumfph. Thanks Neeve," Blue murmurs groggily as she slowly rises from her bed. Yawning, Blue sees that Neeve has already showered and dressed. "Geesh when did you get up?" Blue questions.

Shrugging Neeve replies, "I just didn't want to be in your way is all."

Smiling Blue says kindly,"Thanks Neeve, you really are a great roommate."

Neeve laughs, "So does this mean that you'll be sitting with your greatest roommate at dinner finally?"

"Oh," Blue says taken off guard. "Well I mean Neeve it's not you, or your friends really. It's just I don't really like to be near a bunch of people I don't know and then have to make awkward conversation with them."

Sighing Neeve says causally, "Alright Blue, but I don't  think that you should make a habit of sitting with those boys. I mean sure Dick is fine, but the others, well....they're bound to get you into trouble."

"What do you mean?" Blue asks defensively.

"Well think about it Blue: Lynch got held back, the other is a dirty little geek, and obviously there is something wrong with the smudgy one," Neeve tosses out these insults without even considering the consequences; after all, why should someone care about those boys?

"I see," Blue says coldly. So I did get stuck with a rotten rich kid after all, Blue thinks maliciously.

"Right, well I'm gonna head to breakfast. Should I wait for you there?" Neeve asks sweetly, like she hadn't just been horribly rude to some of the only people that have been nice to Blue so far.