Deadly.

I blinked in the sudden flush of bright white light, I was lying on the mattress Chad had his arms under my back and Caspian was standing over me. He pulled his hand back from my face where his touch must have woken me from my black out. Wrapped in a blanket on my bed was a second tiny lump.

" What happened?" I asked dazedly sitting up even though the pain and physical weakness was like a rock holding me down.

" You gave birth to a boy, Siren" Chad said, lacing the last word with venom.

" But I was...." I trailed off.

' But you kept pushing, I don't know how but you did. " Caspian said. He walked over to the bed his shoes making a soft thudding on the wood floor and picked up one of the babies. He walked back and placed it or should I say Him in my arms.

Blue eyes and blonde hair looked back.

He was the splitting image of Caspian, who was now picking up the baby girl and bringing her over.  She looked undeniably like Hunter.

" What are you gonna name them" Chad asked smiling down at their faces.

" They need two names Tylah," Caspian whispered, " One for good one for evil"

I thought about it, this was going to be their identity. It was something me and Hunter had talked over but we never knew that we would need four names. I decided to use the names Hunter and I had decided on for the light and choose one myself for the dark.

" The girl is called Eyre  for her light name and for her dark she  is Valarie. " I said softly looking down at her, she blinked back and the sides of her mouth tilted upwards.

" And the boy?" Chad said, reaching down to hold the baby's hand.

" Cal for his light and Laetes for his  dark" I said rubbing the blankets that held Cal. 

" Their Beautiful " Chad whispered.

Over in the corner Hunter made a shuffling noise as he pulled himself shakily to his feet and then collapsed again against the wall. he was holding his arm in a strange bent position.

" What did you do to him?" Chad asked sternly turning to look up as Caspian.

" It was self defense, I'm sorry" Caspian said, he almost looked like he meant it too. Almost.

Something was wrong with the way he held himself, the way his eyes blazed, something spiteful and hostile about his posture and attitude. It would blow over I was sure but right now I just wanted to enjoy the moment and te two miracles that lay in my arms. A thought occurred to me.
" When will Cal turn, he was born second" I asked looking at Caspian.

" I don't know, Sirens don't have twins... It defies all our laws and traditions. " He said.

" anything else I should know about my children?" I asked.

" They develop quicker then human, they'll be walking in a few days " He replied.

" Like animals" Chad said scathingly.

" Shut it Human, I am more alike you then you know or care to believe, I have a mind and a soul I used to have a heart just like you until I saved Tylah's life  and - and  a family.... I'd be careful what you let fall out of that mouth of yours boy" Caspian warned.

" Don't patronize me " Chad spat.

" I'm more powerful then you know... you don't want to push me"

" Do your worst Monster, just stop luring her in" Chad glanced at me.

" What do you take me for? You think I would hurt her"

" your not exactly acting like a big caring softie"

" And what boy, are you her hero or something"

" I just care about her which is more then you do" Chad said quietly but Caspian was already across the room standing in front of Chad, he seemed to tower over a head taller then Chad. Looking down he started to shake convulsively.... His skin erupted with flaring white feathers. Chad almost fell over backwards but he stood his ground and stared as Caspian burst from his clothes as half bird half man, his face and hair still resembled a human if that was the right word.   His blue eyes blazed with white hot fury. Caspian flapped his wings stirring up the dust on the floor and rising to hover about a foot from the floor.

" Caspian enough" I said again.  Caspian didn't even glance in my direction.

Instead he twisted his body backwards and his talons forwards, they scraped down Chad face, down his chest ripping open his shirt leaving rich red bloody gashes deep into his skin.  Blood spurted out od his body, thudding with a sickly sound to the floor, Chad screamed, hoarse and drenched in agony. He seemes to choke on his own blood before it trikled out of his mouth. I had never heard him scream. It was like Caspian had sunk his talons into me as well. I could feel the pain behind the scream.

" Chad" I yelled.

" Tylah" He said blankly, But he had already fallen backwards with a dull thud onto the floor boards. His body jerked for a few crushing seconds,  Blood gushed from torn arteries in rhythm with the still steady beat of his heart, his eyes were rolling back in his head and his limp body was quickly becoming  surrounded by the dark  blood. Caspian turned and  was gone out the window in a flurry of blood and feathers. 

Why hadn't I learned the names of any Sirens....I needed their healing powers, but all I could do was watch Chad's face turn form light brown to sheet white blotched with spreading blood. He coughed weakly and blood spattered from his mouth. I knelt down and put my arms on him. Then I remembered that day when I had almost died, on the beach when Levi took me to the island he had two friends with him.   I racked my brain for their names. Then I remembered.

" Irwin" I screamed. Almost immediately their was a rush of cold air and Irwin appeared on the floor next to Chad.

" Who did this?" He asked kneeling down beside Chad and placing his hands on Chad's blood soaked chest.

" Caspian" I said solemnly.

" He wouldn't do this... He'd never do this" Irwin said his hands shaking uncharacteristically.

He began to whisper furiously fast, scrambling his words together. A white blue light surrounded him and Chad's body arched off the floor.

" How did you know it was me calling you?" I asked.

" I recognized your voice, Sirens have excellent memories" He smiled.

" Will he be ok?" I asked

" I don't know," He said honestly.

He fumbled around on Chad's chest, mumbling madly. Beads of glimmering sweat broke out on his brow, this was the most human i had ever seen a Siren. He looked strangely vulnerable but he seemed determined to save Chad.

Chad's chest suddenly arched upwards and with a resounding thud fell back down and went still.

My heart seemed to drop to the floor.