Special 10th Chapter: A Sky Dragon and a BURRITO

Special 10th chapter: A Sky Dragon and a BURRITO

Wendy

"Come on, Carla-chan!" I say in a sing-song voice, sliding down the big staircase. Holding my favorite stuffed animal of a white cat with wings over my head, I run around pretending we're both flying. One day I'm going to get an actual pet cat, and I'm going to name her Carla.

"Wendy-chan?" Auntie calls out from back upstairs. "Your little friends are coming over today, right?"

I smile before answering, remembering she can't see me. "Yes auntie, they're coming over today."

"Don't make too much noise! I'm going back to sleep, don't bother me. I hate kids..." She mumbles. I laugh to myself. After maybe ten minutes I hear the tell-tale sounds of snoring. I gently place Carla-chan down on the couch, and prepare for my guests. Taking a deep breath, I pull my hair from its usual pig-tails. I pull out a chair so I can reach the plates and cups, and set them on the table. Crackers from the pantry, juice from the fridge. Lastly, I grab the emergency key from the flowerpot in the backyard.

I am much more mature and aware than everyone thinks, and for a ten year old in general. Auntie and Natsu don't suspect a thing, but for different reasons. Aunt Porlyuscia is blissfully and lovingly ignorant to a lot of things I do around here, while Natsu is just plain blind sometimes. But I'm sure Auntie suspects something.

A tap-tap at the door grabs my attention. I wait for the usual pattern before opening it slowly for my friends.

"Hi Wendy!" A high-pitched, male voice greets me enthusiastically, and there's no question as to who it is.

"Romeo!" I give him a huge hug, before letting him in the house. Romeo is eleven, but not a full year older than me. He's my best friend, in and outside of school, ever since he fought off the mean kids for me. Since then we've taken care of each other at school.

"The place looks good, Wendy." His smile seems to light up from somewhere inside. For a split second, I wonder what it would be like to go there, where Romeo's smiles come from. He continues to look around. "Is Cheila here yet?"

I bite back a frown. "I thought she was with you. She can't be lost again, could she?" Romeo laughs nervously.

"She said she'd meet me here." Cheila is Romeo's neighbor, and my other best friend. Our birthdays are just one week apart, so we've had some combined parties.

"Well, she knows what to do when she gets here. Cracker?" I motion to the table I set out, and we take a seat. Romeo munches on his cracker like a small animal, I notice. It's amusing.

"Where's Natsu-nii this time?" He asks, half a cracker hanging out of his mouth. Romeo loves onii-chan, and looks up to him almost as much as I do.

"Out with friends. He made a new friend this year, Lucy-nee." I smile, remembering how nice she was when she came over, and how I teased Natsu relentlessly ever since.

"Nee? Are they dating?"

"Not yet. But I think it's highly likely. I'm rooting for it," I finish with a smile.

"Then I am too!" Romeo grins back, excited for Natsu. His smile makes me feel warm, even though it's cold outside.

"I think it'll be good for onii-chan to-" I'm interrupted by the familiar sound of our code. "She's here." I smile, jumping out of my chair. Romeo stays seated while I answer the door.

"Hello Wendy-chan!" Cheila greets me warmly.

"Cheila-chan! I was wondering when you'd get here. Come in, we're having crackers." I walk Cheila over to the table, where she sits down next to me. We both face Romeo, and sit for about five minutes in silence.