I'm going to the beach, but not a *beach* beach

I wake up to the pleasant sounds of Gajeel's snoring the second day  of our week at the resort. Stretching in bed, I rub my jaw, remembering the lovely mishap that caused our harmless game of chicken fight to end in a draw. Which Gajeel forced upon us, despite the whining and complaining from Mira. Gray and I had enthusiastically helped the girls get into the game, encouraging them to kick and shove, in order to push the other off our shoulders. What happened eventually was that Juvia kicked me in the jaw, and Lucy placed a well-aimed kick on Gray's nose. Well, they may have been kicking and screaming in response to Gray and I...

I get dressed and check out the purple bruise in the mirror again. It could have been worse. I could have started bleeding like Gray. His nose started squirting like a geyser, with Juvia quickly tending to him, pulling him out of the pool before he contaminated the whole thing and rushing to get him everything he needed.

The rest of the guys wake up due to the monstrous sounds coming from Gajeel's body, but much less gracefully than me. Gray hits his head on the headboard of his bed, while Laxus rolls too much to one side and falls out.

"You guys are ridiculous," I roll my eyes at the boys I call my closest friends.

"Shaddup," Gray mutters, running a hand through his bed-hair and winces, possibly from pain in his nose. "You baka, your girlfriend really did a number on my nose." I'm sure he meant for me to feel offended, but the only thing I feel are tingles hearing the word girlfriend. It still feels like I'm living a dream, finally having Lucy at my side.

"Oi, Gray, why'd you gotta go and throw that word around. We're losing him! Hey, Natsu!" Laxus walks over to me and snaps his fingers in front of me face, bringing my focus to him. "There he is," turning around, he addresses Gray. "You should wake the snoring machine so we can all get ready for the day."

Suddenly, we hear a knocking at our door. Laxus shouts, "come in," just as Gajeel sits up in shock, his hair sticking out in all directions.

"Ohayō nemui atama!" Mira exclaims happily [T/N: Morning sleepy heads].Today we're actually going to the beach, so dress appropriately. And in ten minutes, or there'll be no more breakfast!" With that, she pops back out of the room and closes the door. I, along with the rest of the guys (and a very confused Gajeel) race around to get ready, motivated by the mention of food. I quickly strip off my shorts and boxers and pull on a pair of black swim trunks. I'm wearing a v-neck with gray and white stripes, looking quite handsome if I may say so myself. Not caring whether or not if the other guys were decent, I opened the door and chased after that breakfast I was promised.

I run in and take a seat at one of the bar stools in the kitchen area and stare pleadingly at the fridge. After about five minutes I realize that I do not have mental powers that can just make food appear. Right then, Lucy and the other girls come out dressed in varying bathing suits and cover ups. Lucy's wearing a cute white sundress, but I can see the blue of the bathing suit peaking out at the top. As per the usual these days, I feel my heart beating faster. She just looks... wow. That part of her hair is tied up at the side with a matching blue ribbon like always. I don't know how many ribbons she has, or how she makes them all coordinate with her outfits, but one day I'm going to figure out her secret.

"Where are the other boys?" Mira asks, looking at me from under the huge brim of her sun hat.

"Getting ready, I guess. Now where's the breakfast?" I remind her of what's really important. She laughs, and motions towards Lucy, who then gives me a bowl, a spoon, the carton of milk, and a box of cereal. I pour myself some cereal and scarf it down as the other guys finish getting ready and come out into the main suite.

"Don't worry if you don't get to eat yet, Lucy prepared a picnic lunch for us on the beach. Today shows no signs of impromptu rain like yesterday," Mira informs us. The other guys eye my bowl of cereal and groan sympathetically with their stomachs. I give them triumphant looks. Mira crosses her arms, "that's what you get for taking forever to get ready!"

"It didn't even take that long! Maybe ten minutes," Laxus argues. Mira gives him a pointed look. "Okay, maybe a little longer than that, but that's because Gajeel couldn't find his gowfuwlsz-" Quick as lightning, Gajeel runs up and covers Laxus' mouth with his hand.

Too quickly, Gajeel shouts, "my phone. Couldn't find my phone." I roll my eyes, knowing what Gajeel is really trying to hide.

"Well, no use wasting more time. Let's go!" Lucy says after putting the milk away. I place my dishes in the sink and take the picnic basket from the floor before Lucy can. "Hey! What do you think you're doing?"

"Carrying the picnic basket for you," I reply with a smile, hoisting it up and onto my shoulder.

"Be careful with that! I don't want the food to get tossed around, and neither do you." She makes a good point... so I make sure to be more careful. We leave the resort, and I start walking towards the public beach open for vacationers at the resort. But before I can actually go anywhere, Lucy grabs the back of my shirt.

Pointing in the opposite direction she whispers in my ear, "we're not going to a beach beach. We're going to a secret place I found as a kid."

"What do you mean, not a beach-beach?" I ask her, looking in the same direction but not seeing anything through the trees.

"It's not public. Or private. It's not claimed by anyone, which also means it's unspoiled by tourists. It's beautiful, really. I should lead the way." Lucy starts to walk away and towards the front of the group.

"Hold up Luce!" I call, chasing after her. She slows down and turns to look at me. "Does this mean we're walking the whole way?"

Her little smile tells me all I need to know. I groan and trudge behind her, starting to feel the weight of a picnic packed for nine.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~