The Magical Masquerade

Chapter Forty-Two:

The Magical Masquerade

Hattori sat beside Kazuha who was chatting away with Kaito. It was beyond him how Kuroba could behave and talk so much like an actual girl. Everything his childhood friend said, Kuroba seemed to answer perfectly and before long Kazuha had lost her suspicion and was now laughing with him. LAUGHING! How in the world did he convince her so quickly?!

"You might as well give up even trying to understand his mentality", whispered Hakuba, "I have tried for years and never succeeded."

"I think that is to our advantage", whispered Shinichi, "I personally would be worried if I did understand his thinking process completely."

"He was like oh stop it! And I was like no way boyfriend, I am here to stay!" laughed Kaito as they watched his conversation with Kazuha. He was always so theatrical with his movements.

"Yeah, I do believe your right Kudo-Kun", nodded Hakuba, "I would be worried too."

"Hey Heiji", whispered Kazuha as she slipped out of the conversation, "Who exactly is she? She seems really fun, but I have never heard you mention a Kaori before?"

"A-Ah, that's because...she is actually...Kudo's friend. I met her through him and when we made the bet...I asked her if she would come with me. I met Shina-chan and Haruka-chan through her."

"I see. Well, me and some of the others are going to go outside to set up the picnic supplies, would you mind helping me for a bit?"

"Ah..." he looked around at the others who were watching Kaito, the thief currently in the middle of an exaggerated story about 'her' and a past lover, "Sure, I would love to."

'Surely it wouldn't hurt to leave them for a few minutes' he thought to himself as he walked out the door after Kazuha.

DCDCDCDCDCDCDCDCDC

Kaito noticed Hattori walking out with Kazuha and he was surprised when Hattori didn't take Hakuba and Shinichi with him. I mean, yeah, Hakuba had told Hattori to stay away from him tonight, but one would have thought he would take Shinichi with him. The poor teen looked completely a loss sitting there between two guys.

Kaito was just about to respond to a question asked of his story when he noticed a guy beside of Hakuba reaching his hand towards his knee. Saguru apparently had noticed it as well because he froze and just as the hand touched his knee, he grabbed the man's wrist and nearly snapped it, yanking it back. Everyone went silent when the man screamed out in pain, Hakuba scowling at him.

"Keep your hands to yourself", he shouted.

He frozen when he noticed everyone looking at him. More quietly and with a red face, he coughed in embarrassment and smiled the best he could as he added on, "please", in a girly voice. Everyone else seemed to think nothing about it as they went back to their own conversations, but I couldn't help smirking when he met my eyes. He just frowned and crossed his arms. I could tell he was ticked off, but I felt worse for the other guy who had only been making a move to flirt and now had a nearly broken wrist to care for.

Shinichi couldn't hide the laugh that came when he had realized what had happened. Of all people the man chose to try to do it with, he picked Hakuba. That guy apparently had no luck and definitely no ability to read the atmosphere. Anyone who had eyes could see Hakuba was radiating a "Come near and I will kill you" vibe.

"Hey sweetheart", a voice called from Kaito's right and he looked up with a charming smile when he realized the man was talking to him, "Want to come up to my room? I would like to ask you something."