Recovery Plan!

Chapter Fifty-Five:

Recovery Plan

The boys remained in the hospital for several more days. As time passed, Shinichi, Kaito, Hakuba, and Ai began to notice the change that the drug had on their friend. Any time Hattori got hurt, no matter how small the injury, even a paper cut, the wound would heal at a much faster rate. If the wound was small, it healed almost immediately. If the wound was bigger, it took a bit of time, but still healed far faster than was human. Hattori was pleased with this change, to say the least.

"I would like you to keep an eye on your condition", replied Ai as she noticed the bouncing teen across from her at the small round table in his hospital room, "I know the ability is healing you rapidly, but it could cause your nervous system to breakdown. Let me know right away if you feel anything different occur, alright?"

Hattori nodded as turned to Shinichi who was sitting beside him.

"So I heard the hospital has agreed to release Hakuba?"

"Yeah, but he has to remain in a wheelchair for a while. After which he can use crutches."

"Well least he is getting out. All I can do is lay around."

Shinichi smiled in sympathy.

"Least you can move", commented Ai, "Kuroba on the other hand hasn't had much luck yet in that regard."

Hattori frowned as his thoughts turned to his friend. It wasn't until the next day after his initial awakening that he found out the conditions of his friends. He was glad to hear everyone was alive, but he was concerned about Kaito and Saguru who, aside from himself, had seemed to get the brunt of the impact. He was told later by Shinichi that Agent Starling was released the next day after her admission. She had got away with only a couple broken ribs.

"Do you think I could go visit Kuroba?" asked Hattori all at once, breaking out of his thoughts.

"I don't see why not. The doctors really are only keeping you for observation right now. They are afraid you might have a setback."

Heiji nodded, but he wasn't overly concerned. He felt good, almost as good as normal, though not quite. Still, hospital policy dictated he had to be escorted in a wheelchair, so he just sat back and enjoyed the ride as Shinichi began pushing him down the hall. Kudo was still recovering from his severe concussion, always moving slowly and closing his eyes should he have to move quickly. He noticed that under intense light or sound, Shinichi would flinch away. He knew this was because his friend still wasn't fully recovered. Hattori had a feeling it would be a while before any of them really were.

As they pulled the wheelchair into the large hospital room, they were surprised to see Hakuba sitting there beside the bed in his own wheelchair, a serious look on his face. Kuroba however grinned widely when he noticed Hattori and Kudo at the door.

"Shin-chan! Hei-chan! Welcome to my humble abode."

Hattori chuckled as Shinichi sighed. They entered the room, Shinichi placing the wheelchair across from Hakuba's as he grabbed a chair from the nearby table and pulled it over for himself.

"How you doing Kid?" asked Hattori looking the youngest teen over.

The boy was rather bruised looking and paler than was normal, but his easy going smile made him relieved that the boy was still himself, not allowing this tragedy to pull him down.

"It's going alright", Kaito said, his smile fading slightly as he glanced down at his legs, "Hakuba here was just telling me about an idea of his, weren't you Haku-chan?"