The Homestretch

"Margaret, wake up my darling," Katie sang as she jumped up and down on my bed, pulling the warm covers off of me as well.

"No, it's not. It's time to let Maggie sleep because Maggie has been up until the wee hours of the morning for over three weeks just so that she could pass her N.E.W.Ts, let her sleep," I mumbled into my pillow, lazily kicking at her.

"What's with the referencing to yourself in the third person?" Katie asked, chuckling as she grabbed a pillow and started hitting me with it. 

"I'm tired," I grumbled, pulling the blankets back up on me. 

"We have the Slytherin match today, I'm sure that Wood will let you sit this one out if need be," she answered, climbing back down to the floor. 

"No, I don't want to sit the match out, I'll be fine. I'll tough it out," I answered, sitting up and hopping down to the ground. I was absolutely, thoroughly exhausted; as I said, I had been up until the wee hours of the morning just to finish up the day's homework and to study for my N.E.W.Ts and still make it to my early morning classes on time. I put on my game face and changed into my Quidditch uniform. I kept reminding myself that it was only one match, only one hour of my life. I had to stay awake for one more hour, then I'd be able to come back here and sleep it all off. How wonderful sleep sounded...

"Mags, stop daydreaming and get ready, the match starts in twenty minutes," Katie reminded, rushing around the room. I groaned and slipped on a pair of sandals before walking over to the bathroom and brushing my hair and teeth. I pulled my hair into a ponytail before walking out of the dorm and down to the common room as slowly as a turtle. When I finally made it down to the locker rooms, the match was minutes from starting and Oliver was freaking out.

"Where the hell were you?" He asked sternly, following me all the way to my locker. I groaned and slid off my pajama top, replacing it with my Quidditch top and cloak. 

"Walking down here," I answered with a yawn as I slid on my pants and boots. 

"Are you going to be able to play on your best game?" He asked, a slight concerned tone in his voice this time. 

"I'll be fine," I answered, reaching over to grab my broom from the small closet by the lockers. 

"Hey, stop for a second," Oliver instructed, grabbing me by the wrist and pulling me back over to him. "Are you going to be okay to play? I don't want you to injure yourself or anything, dear."

"I'm fine," I grunted out. "Have some faith in me for once, dear," I spat out, yanking my wrist out of his grasp and storming out to the pitch. I felt bad for snapping at him, but he didn't have to treat me like such a child sometimes, especially in front of all our teammates. I shook it off and listened as Lee Jordan started shouting out all of the names of the players. 

"Here she is, the girl herself, the best Seeker that I know, Maggie Smallwood!" Lee shouted as I flew up to the middle of the pitch, forcing a smile onto my face as I waved to the crowd. Lee called up Oliver as well, but I was too annoyed with him to really pay attention. I huffed a quick breath while I watched Madam Hooch release the snitch first, followed by the Quaffle and the Bludgers. I flew up about twenty feet above the pitch, along with the Slytherin seeker, and scanned the entire pitch for the snitch. There was no sign of the snitch for either seeker for a good ten to fifteen minutes, and we could tell, everyone was getting antsy. 

"Are you even looking for it, Maggie?" Oliver yelled from his spot in the hoops. I just turned my head to glare at him before I saw a golden flash right by the small white circle on the ground that marked the very center of the pitch. It was barely even a foot off of the ground, and I was so exhausted, I just flew as fast as I could to get to it. I reached my hand out, my finger tips only inches away from the snitch. I felt a yawn creeping up on me as I scooted up on my broom, my fingers finally wrapping around it. I smiled for a moment before digging my feet into the ground and running over to hug George, who had landed as well.