Almost

It was a bittersweet feeling as I walked out of my very last potions class, sure, it was one of my most dreaded classes each day because I know that it would be Snape's goal to make any Gryffindor miserable, but it was an end to an era and I knew I would miss it. 

Anyways, I had one more class left at Hogwarts, and I knew that it would be a great one, since it was on of my favorite classes with my favorite professor. McGonagoll had already told us that our last Transfiguration lesson, since the class was consisted of her favorite students (Gryffindors), would be more of a good-bye party, requiring no actual school work. 

"You alright?" My favorite Scottish voice spoke softly, my eyes looking up to meet Oliver's beautiful brown ones. 

"Fantastic," I answered, looking ahead of me at the staircase and letting a small smile grace my lips ever so slightly. 

"You're beautiful," he answered, even softer than the last time. God, I loved how he would just blurt out sweet little nothings like that, it just made my heart melt. I loved this man so much, and I loved that he took any opportunity to just show me that he loved me too. 

"I love you," I whispered, moving so that we were facing each other and loosely wrapping my arms around his neck. He smiled and pressed a quick, but sweet, kiss to my forehead and my cheek before draping his arm around my shoulder and continuing to walk up the staircase with me.

"I love you more," he answered, his hand rubbing up and down my back slowly, my heart fluttering at just his simple touch. We walked up the rest of the stairs just like that, arms draped loosely around each other in a comfortable silence, hearing the students behind us and the paintings that lined the wall chattering happily amongst themselves. 

"Can you believe we're nearly done with this place?" I asked, looking around at all of the statues and paintings that I had taken entirely for granted, soaking in every little detail, every little carving of a student's name on a wall, every little chip in the stone. Everything that had taken me seven whole years to notice, I soaked it all in. 

Apparently, I wasn't paying enough attention, as I tripped on the top stair and nearly fell back down the whole case, getting stopped only  by Oliver's muscular arms sweeping around me and pulling me up into his chest. 

"Easy there, princess," he teased, leaning down so that his nose was a mere inch away from my own. I could tell that he was leaning down to kiss me, and I let him until he got closer, to which I responded by sticking my tongue out. 

"Add tongue, I'm open for it," he teased, a smirk spreading across his lips as I huffed playfully and turned on my heel to continue walking down the hallway, jumping slightly when I felt Oliver's hand playfully smack my bum. 

"You're a pest," I threw over my shoulder, continuing to walk down the corridor and hearing his footsteps behind me. 

"You love me."

"That's debatable."

----------

"It was a delight to teach you all, and please do keep in touch. Do wonderful things, make me proud," Professor McGonagoll finished as the clock chimed to indicate the bittersweet end of our last class at Hogwarts. I was suddenly overcome with what one could only describe as grief as everyone around me stood up and shuffled out of class as if it was any old day. 

"Go ahead to the common room without me, I'll be there in a little while," I muttered to Oliver as I stood up and slowly put away my textbooks and supplies. 

"Everything alright?" He asked, looking over at me out of the corner of his eyes as he too put away his things. 

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. I promise," I answered as convincingly as I could, pressing a quick kiss to his lips before he too walked out of the room without another look back. I couldn't understand that, them just leaving like that. I suppose that the reason I was so attached to this place was for the most part that I had lived here for most of the year for seven years and that it was the only constant that I had had in my life ever since my parents died, the other parts being that it was where I met all these wonderful people. If I had never come here, I wouldn't have Ginny or Fred or George or any Weasley for that matter, no Harry, no Hermione or Angelina, no Katie, and most importantly no Oliver. This place had morphed my life from something regular and ordinary to a rare, out of the ordinary, nothing regular at all type of thing. 

"Ms. Smallwood? Are you alright?" Professor McGonagoll's shrill voice broke me out of my train of thought. 

"Oh, yes. I'm fine. It's just-" I paused, feeling tears spring to my eyes. "I'm gonna miss this place," I mumbled, sniffling as the tears spilled out onto my cheeks. 

"Oh, dear, don't cry. You've gotten all you've needed out of Hogwarts, it's on to bigger and better things now. Don't cry," she soothed, wiping at my tears with her thumbs and lowering her voice into a softer one. 

"I-it's just t-t-that I'm gonna miss you and e-e-everything that g-goes around here s-so m-m-much," I whimpered out through hiccups and sniffles alike, holding tightly to her when she wrapped her arms around me. 

"Ms. Smallwood, um, Maggie, I'm going to tell you something. As a teacher, we are not supposed to pick favorites, but I did.  You were my favorite student, ever since you were that scrawny little first year who had glasses, braces, and a pile of fiery orange hair with the personality to match. You still have that spunky and sassy attitude to love you; you have grown into a wonderful young woman right before my very eyes. Don't say that you'll miss this place and me and everyone else here, you'll see everyone in due time. Your adopted family makes up practically the entire school, and I can guarantee that the Gryffindor quidditch team will stay as close knit as you have always been. As for me and the rest of your professors, I speak for all of us when I say that I expect to have an invitation to the wedding."

"W-wedding?" I asked, wiping at my tears and backing up a bit so that I could look her in the eye. 

"You're a smart girl, you know what I'm saying," she said with a grin on her face. "Yours and Mr. Wood's wedding, I expect an invitation," she explained, my cheeks growing redder and redder with each one of her words. 

"Oh, Professor," I said awkwardly, blushing wildly and shaking my head. "If, and I said 'if', that does happen, I doubt he'd ask for a long time. We're only just leaving school, I have to make a name for myself out there, you know?" I clarified, trying the best that I could to get her to not mention anything of marriage or the future to the best of my ability. 

"Alright, alright. But don't worry my dear, I have full faith in your abilities. I'll see you at graduation tomorrow morning," she finished, reaching out and stroking my arm before she turned and walked over to her office, leaving me to turn as well and grab my bag before taking one last lingering glance around the room and walking out of the room that held so many memories for me. 

------------------------

A.N.

I am so so so so so so sorry about not updating as often! I've been crazy busy with school and I haven't had time to. This chapter is super puny and gross and bad but the next one will be better and come within the next few days, I promise.