Is there honor within you

The sun was rising over the land...slowly extending its fingers of light..touching everything as it traveled. In the distance a town could be seen, trapped within the mountains shadow..attempting to thwart the fragile rays of light from reaching the seemingly deserted town. Light and shadow pushed against each other...battling for dominance until eventually the mountain loses to the suns might as it rises higher into the sky, overpowering the gloom. As the mountain concedes defeat to the suns power, it narrowed its vision to desperately clutch within its shadows a doorway that had not been there before on the previous days reckoning. Now protected by the shadowy grip was a patchwork door made of different sized stones...blocking what once was a hole into the mountain side ,now sealed up. The sun laughed at the mountains attempts but allowed it to keep the door within its shadow...for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Earlier..as the moon had looked on, the sounds of rocks being hefted and moved could be heard and a loud bellowing voice rang into the mountain. Thorin was grunting as he shifted rocks towards the open entrance..seeing his comrades doing the same...he bellowed out to rally them in moving faster.

"I want this fortress made safe by sun up. This mountain was hard won...I will not see it taken again. He commanded...noticing though that his nephew, Kili, stopping to look at him...concern upon his face. 

"Uncle. The people of Laketown have nothing. They came to us in need. They have lost everything." his voice pleaded with Thorin, hoping he would see reason and not be so cold to the others plight.

"Do not tell me what they lost." Thorin snapped at Kili. "I know well enough of hardship.  Those who've lived through dragon fire should rejoice! They have much to be grateful for." He looks across to the town Dale where he could see people building small fires for warmth as they settled in for the night. "More stone! Bring more stone to the gate !"he barked out...not seeing the hurt look upon Kilis face or the look of despair in Bilbos and Kechis expression at Thorins harsh behavior...even Bofur was confounded by him. The Thorin they knew was a man filled with compassion for those who needed help..he suffered from those who turned their backs when his people were in need and he swore he wouldnt do that to others. And yet as Kili looked on at his uncle, he saw this man he admired, doing that very thing...just like the elves he hated so much. Kili watched his uncle head back inside the mountain with a glazed look coming over him...heading for the treasury once more..a chill wormed itself across Kilis spine, but he got back to work. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thorin walks across the golden metal sea..listening to the sounds of metal rolling against each other..pleasurable shivers, like a lovers caress, danced across his senses and he groaned in delight at the sound. Moving across the shifting gold a gleam of white catches his eyes and he makes his way over to it...seeing a chest filled with gems and gold, laying on top of the mound was a necklace made of white gems that glittered like starlight. As he reached down..picking it up to hold within the torches light better he recalls Thranduils words back in Mirkwood.

"There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight." the elf king had tried to downplay his hunger for the gems then..but Thorin saw through it. Now as he gazes upon the gleaming necklace he laughs as realizes its these very gems the elf wants so bad.

"The white gems of Lasgalen. I know an elf-lord who will pay a pretty price for these." his laugh is sarcastic sounding, as he throws the necklace back down onto the pile and walks away to survey his golden lover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bofur and Fili heaved the last stone into place and leaned against the makeshift wall to breath...suddenly upon the wind a cry like a childs could be heard and Bofur reached up to rub at his chest as he looked out over to the now occupied city in the distance. Fili saw the action he made and placed a hand on Bofurs arm in concern.