the price of arrogance

bryan adams song...play the bugle now

*EVENING*

The wind was moaning lowly around the tents that laid outside the Erebor doors...casting a deeper somber feel to those inside the enclosures. In one such tent the flickers of the candle upon a stool was casting shadows onto the tent walls...making them appear to be dancing there. The sounds of the soft candle flame was barely heard within the room as it sat next to a small healers cot which held a dwarf upon it..he was still..very still and very pale. Next to him sat a blond haired dwarf woman who held tightly to his hand...on his other side holding the other hand sat a dark haired dwarf whose free arm was wrapped around the waist of a dark haired woman...all heads bowed in grief.

Kili breathed as deeply as he could...feeling a slight pang from the stitches in his chest pulling slightly with each intake of air. It had been close...he almost died, but the arrival of Kahrn saved him at the last moment. Kili could still hear the whooshing sound as the maces handle plummeted towards his chest..he expected any second to feel it entering his body and killing him. He glanced over to his friend Tauriel to say ~ Im sorry~, for what he still wasnt sure of..maybe because he felt he had dragged her into all this mess. Just as their eyes met and he opened his mouth, he saw Kahrn ..dark red hair that looked like it was on fire...green eyes that held a deep burning light inside...barreling towards him, roaring mightily. Before Kili could fully register his appearance, he felt a hard impact on his body, then a sharp pain in his chest over his heart. Thats when his mind snapped into realization...Kahrn had leaped at the last second to place his body in between the mace and Kilis body...taking the brunt of the blow so only a tiny bit made it through into Kili.

After Bolg had left ,Kili stayed by Kahrns side as he took his last breath before moving on to Mahals side...gasping out his wifes name, who had been dead for over forty years now. Kili held onto his lifeless body there in the falling snow...kneeling as his tears fell down onto the stones below..freezing into tiny drops of ice like diamonds upon the stone. Thats how Tauriel found him once again after fighting Bolg shortly ago. Hearing his name being called, broke through his grief as he turned to see her running over to him...she saw him bleeding a lot and tried to get him to leave the tower so he could seek the attentions of a healer. He didnt want to leave Kahrn ther..alone..but after her vow of coming back to retrieve him, Kili let her help him to the healers. She kept her promise and brought back Kahrns body to them..where he could be buried with high honors inside Erebor soon. Kahrn gave his life in protecting one of the line of Durin..a prince...his sacrifice deserved the highest of honors, he would be buried in the Durins tombs alongside the other Durins who laid there.

Kilis thoughts were pulled away from his reflections by the weeping sound of Ahmi who knelt by Filis bedside holding his hand in her own. Earlier Fili was brought to this tent..bandages covering his body that was littered with vast bruises, cuts, and broken bones...and a fractured skull. Oin had come in checking over Fili as Kili, Alysi, and Ahmi looked on and with a shake of his head..eyes downcast, he gave them the bad news. Filis head was so battered by all the blows from the goblins and orcs..then the fall off of the tower, that now left swelling on his brain..leaving him in a comatose state, barely breathing.

"Im sorry Prince Kili, but your brothers injuries are to severe. I fear he will never wake up..again." his voice was rough from holding back tears as he gave the grave news to the young prince. "The merciful thing would be to give him a draught of deep sleep...enough administered  would allow him to slip into a peaceful death."he gave Kili a pitying look as he roared out in denial.

"No! I will never do that to him!" kilis body trembled as he went into a protective stance between his brother and the healer. "You dont know if he will never wake..he still can for all you know." his fists clenched in his anger.