Chapter 17

"Okay, girls come on in!" We all put away the balls and hurdle around the coach.

"As you should all know, Riley is the new captain. Congratulations." Ten other 'congratulations' are thrown my way from everyone on the team.

"Thank you." I thank everyone while my curious eyes scan the gym for Kirsten. She was nowhere in sight.

"I also have some other news. We all saw what happened last game against the boys." She sighs," Mark admitted that Kirsten made him do it so that she could become captain by default. At first I didn't believe him and Kirsten wasn't admitting to it either. Heath, the captain of the guy's team, said that he heard Kirsten talking to Mark about something like this, but he had no idea they were something that serious. The point of me telling you all this is that Kirsten has been terminated from the team. Heath on the other hand has been suspended from the first game for their season."

Heath stepped up for me? What is he trying to prove?

"So we only have eleven players on the team now?" I ask. Larsen sadly nods.

"That's why I need all of you guys to stay healthy and don't overwork yourselves too much. We can't afford to lose anymore players." Everyone nods. "Now Riley start with the warm up."

"Okay. Let's start with ten laps around the gym!" I yell and everyone starts running including myself.

*********

"Hey, Riley." Kat smiles vaguely sitting next to me while I change out of my shoes.

"Hey." I smile, but Kat looks a little lost in thoughts," What's wrong? And don't you dare say nothing."

She laughs," Riley, like you know I've been acting off a lot lately and I did show up late for the game. I promise I didn't want to. It's just that." She stops to think," My parents are getting a divorce, and after our parents told us this Jarred, my brother, ended up in jail for beating this kid up." Her voice cracks.

"Kat. I really don't know what to say." I admit. "I truly don't know. I've never cared enough about my parents relationship to know how it feels when something like this happens, and I'm not being selfish by saying that either."

"Did you not have a good relationship with your parents?"

"My mom died when I was fourteen and my dad was a drunk."

"How do you do it?" She asks tears slipping from her eyes.

"Do what?" I ask confused.

"Stay happy? You don't even live with them. My parents are just getting a divorce they still care about me and they'll still both be here. Why does it hurt so much?"

"To be truly honest. I don't know. I don't even remember the last time my dad actually cared about me. I don't remember being loved, so I can't really be hurt by losing something I didn't even have. You on the other hand have been loved by both of them your whole life. You're just scared that maybe they won't love you as much as they use to, or that things will be really awkward between all of you. Let me tell you, things only turn out awkward or bad when you let them. You have to take control of the situation to make it work out the way you want it to. If your parents want a divorce it's their choice you should support them. When they're divorced it doesn't mean that you still can't have family nights every Friday. You still can the only difference will be that your mom won't be known as your dad's wife anymore. That's it." Kat wipes away her tears.

"I wish I was as strong as you." She admits.

"I'm not strong Kat. I just know how to hide my weaknesses. Anyone can learn to do that." I hug her. "Now stop crying, and let's get our asses up. How about we go watch a movie or something?" I suggest.