Chapter 8

A/N hey everyone. So here's chapter 8. Hope you all like it but I'm sure all you fans know what is going to happen.....
One point of order I want to thank everyone who is reading. My reads have gone up by almost a 100 in the past few days. I am so happy. I know 100 reads that's nothing but for me it means a lot :)
Also this chapter is dedicated to HeartlandAddict for the amazing comment on Chapter 2, it made my day and made me post this chapter a few days earlier.
Best comments get dedications :)
Anyway on with the story.

Chapter 8

I don't know how long we sat in that field, but next thing I knew we were riding in the back of a truck with Dale's body about to go bury him. I stayed quiet, I didn't have anything to say to anyone. We reached the burial site, the spot under the tree where we had buried Sophia and Herschel's family. The others had a dug a hole, ready to go. They placed his body in there and covered him up, marking the grave with a circle of stones and a cross made of wood. I stood at the back of the group, I didn't ready feel the need to stand close to them. Daryl stood by my side, he hasn't left my side since last night.

"Dale could, could get under your skin. He sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us. The truth. Who we really are. In the end, he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honour him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives, our safety, our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on, we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honour Dale," Rick gave a good speech before we all went our separate ways. I started walking and didn't stop until I felt a hand around my wrist pulling me back.

"Hey," I turned to see Daryl behind me, "Shane wants to check the property and all the fences."

"Ok," I nodded.

"I'm gonna help, you be alright by yaself?"

"I think I can manage," I smiled.

"Ya sure?"

"Go, I'll be better knowing the farm is safe," I smiled.

He nodded and walked off, the truth is as much as I wanted him to stay I needed space. Ok that makes no sense, but I needed time alone.

I went into my tent and stayed there for a little while until I heard a truck pull up outside. Daryl hoped off the back and walked straight to me, he just looked at me and I nodded to say I was ok. He wrapped his arms around me, he didn't hesitate even though there was people around. I snuggled into him, I had known him such a short amount of time, but I couldn't be without him now.

"I want you all to move into the house," Herschel said as he approached us, "It's getting colder and with walker coming closer I'd feel safer knowing you were all in the house."

I pulled out of Daryl's arms a little bit and looked over at Herschel and Rick.

"It'll be tight, 15 people in one house," Rick replied.

"Don't worry about that," Herschel replied, "With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up."

"With 50 head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell," Maggie added.

"She's right. We should've moved you in a while ago," Herschel admitted.

"All right, let's move the vehicles near each of the doors, facing out toward the road. We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sightlines both sides of the property," Rick suggested, "T-Dog, you take the perimeter around the house. Keep track of everyone coming and going."