Chapter XXI

VICKY THE VAMPIRE HUNTER.

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE.

'What happened?' Damien groaned.

'You were punched over the balcony and crashed into our glass table,' I replied casually. 'It was a stressful job moving you to the couch.'

I stood up. 'Now that you're awake, we need to go to school.'

'But what about your parents? What happened to the Hunter?' Damien asked, sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

'I beat the crap out of him,' I said. 'And he got scared and ran off.'

'Really?' Damien asked sarcastically.

'Hey, don't underestimate me!' I said in a fake buff voice. 'I'll beat ya' up too.'

Damien raised his hands in surrender, a playful smile on his face.

'But what if the Hunter tries to come back?'

'He wouldn't be dumb enough to come back. My parents would be expecting him,' I answered.

'Oh, is your friend awake?' Mom asked, walking into the living room.

'Yup,' I replied. 'But he doesn't believe you can defend yourself.'

'Oh, don't worry, honey, we're fine here.'

Wow, Mom could really act. I knew on the inside she was holding back from murdering Damien in cold blood.

Wait, did I just quote from "Dateline"?

'Well, we'd better get going, before our teachers suspect anything and our grades drop to nothingness,' I said.

'Wow, you really dramatize the dramatic,' Damien teased. 

We both stood up and Damien started stretching. Damien bid Mom goodbye and started walking to the car. Before I left the front door, however, Mom pulled me back inside.

'Damien, would you mind waiting in the car for a while? Vicky and I need a mother-daughter moment.'

Damien shrugged. He smiled and then walked to the car. Mom pulled me inside the house.

'I know you're hiding something from me,' Mom said. 'I can see it in your eyes.'

'What?,' I lied. 'Of course not.' 

'You're a terrible liar. Now spit it out.'

'Fine,' I sighed. 'I had a dream about you. You screamed ,'Vicky, help!', in the dream. Then someone pulled you away and blood spilled on me. That's exactly what happened today. I think I saw the future in my dream.' 

Mom's eyes widened in shock.

'Oh my God,' she mumbled.

'What? Do you know something?' I asked frantically. I needed some answers.

Mom blinked her eyes and shook her head. Her expression of shock changed to a smile I very well know was fake.

'No. Nothing's wrong,' Mom said. 'You're just discovering some new abilities, that's all.'

'But Mom,' I started. 'I've never heard of a Witch with the power to see the future.' 

'It's nothing,' Mom insisted, ignoring my previous words. 'Now go on, you're already late. You probably missed half your classes! You may be undercover, but you still need to learn.' 

She basically pushed me out of the house.

'Bye! Love you!' she said quickly before slamming the door.

'Bye,' I said sarcastically to the door. 

I got into the front seat of the car next to Damien.

'What was that all about?' he asked.

'I don't even know,' I said with a sigh. 'Let's get going.' 

We were silent for about the first thirty minutes of the drive, but Damien broke the silence.

'So, um, your parents are human.'

My eyes widened and I held back a gasp. Oh crap! I forgot Damien could smell their blood and hear their heartbeats. They didn't take the potion which caused you to look like a vampire.

'Well, you see,' I stammered. 'Um... Well-'

'Are you okay? You seem pale,' Damien said. 

'My parents are still human,' I said quickly. 'I was converted into a Vampire, but not them.'

'Why not?' Damien asked. 'You'll live forever, but they'll grow older. Don't you want to keep them with you for eternity?'

'I would like to, but no one wants to live forever.'

'You can say that again,' Damien shrugged. 'But how come I couldn't smell your Mom's pulse the day I met her at the restaurant?' 

Crap! She had probably drank the potion before going there!

'Um... maybe because you were hungry, your vampire senses weren't strong enough.'

'Maybe. Which reminds me, I'm starving.'

'Well, we can't just go and kill a random person.'

'What makes you think I drink human blood?' Damien asked.

Wait, he didn't? 

'Well, I just thought, since we're vampires...' I trailed off.

'Maybe everyone else at that Academy drinks human blood, but I'm vegetarian.'

I raised my eyebrow sarcastically.

'Well, metaphorically, I'm vegetarian,' Damien explained. 'I only drink animal blood.' 

'Oh. Really?' I was finding this hard to believe. I never thought a vampire such as Damien would be "vegetarian". 

'Why?' I asked.

'Because humans are lucky,' Damien sighed. 'They have blood in their bodies. They can live and enjoy life and finally feel die on the day fate has chosen for them. I don't wanna take away the life they've been so luck to have.' 

My heart dropped. How would I be able to kill Damien after hearing all this? Maybe I could convince Mom and Dad not to kill him. He didn't hurt humans, and he saved their lives earlier today. But the problem was, who had converted Damien? If it was Shane or someone else at school, Damien would die when they died. 

I  was so deep in thought, I didn't even realize we had already driven so far. We would arrive at the school in twenty minutes tops. 

Suddenly, I felt my senses heighten. It was almost like I was sensing danger. I heard something zipping through the air. My head snapped to the left.

'Damien! Duck!' I shouted. 

I held onto his head and pushed him down just as the arrow flew through the open window. It lodged itself in the car seat. Damien stomped down on the breaks and the car came to a halt. 

'I just got my car repaired!' Damien pouted.

I started looking around. I noticed a black hoodie running deep into the woods that surrounded the road. 

'C'mon,' I said to Damien as I opened the car door. 

'Why?' Damien asked.

'We're going after this Hunter,' I said quickly.

We both got out of the car and started running into the woods, in pursuit of the Witch Hunter. 

==========================

Author's Note:

ooooh, cliffhanger! O_O *bites nails*

I hope to update soon! :) 

~K.V.R.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++