Chapter XXIII

VICKY THE VAMPIRE HUNTER.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

It wasn't a long kiss. Or a passionate one. Our lips just touched. Maybe Damien wanted it to go further, but I pulled away. 

I looked at him. He avoided eye contact.

'W-Why did you do that?' I stammered. 

'Sorry,' Damien apologized. 'It was sort of an "in the moment" thing. I've actually wanted to kiss you for a while, and-'

Damien's eyes went wide with embarrassment when he realized what he had just blurted. 

'I've been sorta wanting to kiss you too,' I confessed.

He looked at me, a faint smile on his lips.

'But,' I continued. 'I'm not ready for a relationship yet. Can we just be friends?'

Damien's smile faded, but it returned a few seconds later.

'Sure,' he said quietly.

I can't believe I had just rejected Damien! And I had friend-zoned him. It's just that, I didn't know if Damien's fate was secured or not. Would he die when Shane died? I didn't want to develop any feelings for him, and then see him die right in front of me. 

Suddenly, Damien became serious.

'So,' he started. 'You're a Witch...'

Uh-oh. The conversation I had been dreading. 

'Yeah,' I admitted. 'I'm undercover at the Academy.'

'Why?' Damien asked. 

'Well, I originally came to hunt Vampires, but...'

'But what?'

'But I'm starting to realize not all Vampires are bad,' I confessed. 

'Did you kill Vincent Ricadson?' Damien asked quietly.

'Yes and No,' I said. 'Remember on the first day, when we had to hunt that girl?'

'Yeah. I didn't take part, though,' Damien said.

'Well, I knew the girl. Her name was Wendy. She used to attend my old school,' I explained. 'I couldn't just stand there and see her get killed. So I helped her to hide from everyone else. However, Vincent found us. He realized that I wasn't a Vampire, and started attacking us. I hit him with a rock, but Wendy was the one who stabbed him in the heart.'

'So, you were sort of like an accomplice?' 

'I guess so,' I said. 

'So what are you planning to do? Kill everyone in the school?' Damien asked.

'Didn't you hear what I said? I've realized not all Vampires are evil,' I said. 

'Wait, so why was the Vampire Hunter after you?' Damien asked.

Before I could reply, he answered his own question.

'He's a Witch Hunter!' Damien exclaimed in realization. 

'Yep,' I said. 

'One more thing,' Damien said.

'Shoot,' I said.

'Why don't you just go back home, since you've realized not all vampires are evil?'

'Because of my parents,' I said. 'They wanna erase every vampire from the face of the Earth.'

'So what are you gonna do?'

'I don't know,' I sighed. 'Maybe I can talk to my mom on the day of the Spring Concert.'

'Good idea,' Damien said. 'Now, let's find our way back to the school.

'Wait!' I exclaimed. 'You have to answer my questions! How the heck did you protect us from that fireball?' 

Damien looked at me.

'Thought you would've figured out by now,' he said.

And then it hit me like a slap.

Damien's last name...

Salohcin.

It was "Nicholas" spelled backwards!

He was Damien Nicholas! Infamous Demon Hunter! 

My hands slowly rose and covered my mouth.

'You-,' I stammered. I was speechless. 'You're still alive!'

Damien nodded. 

'The reason I didn't get hurt by Charisa's powers was because of my ring,' he explained, twirling the ring on his finger. 'It protects me from any form of Dark Magic.'

'But what about the Curse of Insanity?' I asked. 'You killed almost the entire school.'

'That was the past,' Damien said. 'When I put on this ring, the Curse was broken.'

'Who gave you the ring?' I asked. 

'A good Witch had given this ring to her son, and the son gave it to me.'

'Why would he do that?'

'Because if I died, he would die,' Damien said.

'So, you converted a Witch's son to a vampire?' I gasped.

'Yes,' Damien replied. 'The son has been in hiding ever since.'

'Who is it?' I asked.

'You wouldn't know,' Damien replied. 'I haven't seen him in years.'

I sat down on a fallen log. This was a lot to take in. Damien sat next to me.

'Why didn't you just come clean?' I asked. 'When the curse was broken, you could have gone back to your normal life, but instead you made everyone think you were dead.'

Wow, I was asking so many questions. And I was glad Damien was being honest enough and answering them.

'I grew up in different times,' Damien sighed. 'In those days, anyone who is cursed by a Witch would be killed immediately, regardless of if the curse was broken or not.' 

'I have one last question,' I said.

Damien looked at me, waiting to hear it.

'Were you really the one to convert Shane? Or was it the other way around?'

'I bit him,' Damien said. 'He also knows my secret, that's why he's been keeping me a secret.'

Whew, Damien was the one to convert Shane. That means he wouldn't die if I had to kill Shane...

'So Shane's been keeping you a secret?'

'Yup,' Damien said. 'That's why half the school doesn't know me. I'm allowed to skip class whenever I want. I've been thought the same stuff for decades.'

'Must be boring.'

'It's terribly boring.'

'Well,' I sighed and stood up. 'Let's get back to school! Oh joy!'

'You're forgetting one thing,' Damien said. 'Which way is the school?'

'Well, since you know I'm a Witch now, I can use a spell,' I said.

'Salius Widarus,' I said. 'Show me where the Academy is.

A faint blue line appeared infront of us. It zipped through the woods.

'All we have to do is follow the line,' I explained.

'Cool,' Damien shrugged.

We both started following the line, going back to school. 

========================

No cliffhanger, you owe me a thank-you. LOL. Jk. ;) 

This chapter sure has lots of talking, revelations and questions... am I right? :D

Sorry it's so boring. :(

-~>K.V.R.<~-

++++++++++++++++++++++++