Chapter XXII

VICKY THE VAMPIRE HUNTER.

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

'I can't believe it!' I groaned.

I checked my watch. We had been walking for an hour. 

'We're lost,' Damien sighed.

'Yeah, no shit,' I said.

'Well, at least your sarcastic spirit hasn't been broken,' Damien said, rolling his eyes. 

'This Hunter must really know his way around. It was probably his evil plan to make us get lost,' I concluded.

'But it doesn't make sense. Why would he just make us get lost?' Damien said. 'If he wants to kill us so bad, this would be the perfect opportunity for him.'

'Maybe it is his plan. He could be stalking us,' I murmured and started glancing around. 

All I saw were trees. Trees everywhere. Occasionally we would hear a bird tweeting or see a squirrel run across the forest floor. 

'We've been walking East for over an hour! How come we haven't found the road yet?' I said angrily. 'I told you we should've gone West!' 

'Well if you hadn't gone running behind the Hunter, I wouldn't have lost my sense of direction,' Damien shot back. 

'At least I was making an attempt at catching the Hunter!' I argued. 

'Sush,' Damien said suddenly.

'Did you just 'sush' me?' I exclaimed. 

'Be quiet! Do you hear that?'

I stopped talking. I started listening.

It was a rustling sound. It was too loud to be a squirrel. Suddenly, a something hit me on my head and a sharp pain shot through me. 

Blackness engulfed me. 

*_*_*_*_*_*

My eyes slowly opened. Everything was blurry. What was that orange glow? I blinked my eyes a couple of times.

Everything came into focus. 

It was night. The glow was coming from a large bonfire. I tried to move. I couldn't.

I realized I was tied to a tree. I was in a clearing in the woods. I slowly turned to my head to the right. It was stiff and painful. Damien was tied to the tree next to mine. He was busy looking around frantically. 

'Damien,' I whispered. 

His eyes shot to mine.

'Vicky! Thank God you're awake,' he breathed in relief. 'I thought you would never wake up!' 

'How long have I been out? What happened?' I asked.

'Someone knocked us out. Next thing I know we were tied to this tree. I don't know how long you were out, but it was way longer than me,' Damien explained. 

'Who knocked us out?' I asked.

'I don't know. I haven't seen anyone around since I woke up,' Damien replied. 

'Ahhh, they're awake,' came a hoarse voice from behind me.

'Who's there?!' I exclaimed. 

Someone emerged from the shadows. It was a woman. She wore a long, black cloak that was torn and tattered. Her long hair was all over the place and seemed like it hadn't been washed in weeks. Her face was the exact thing you would use to describe an "old hag". She outstretched her hand to touch my face. Her nails were long and black.