Chapter 10 - Adult Children

Jack drove in his car back to my house and I drove in my car. I put on some Sam Smith in hopes to calm me down before I got back to Lily but if anything it made me even angrier. Jack and I pulled up at the same time. Jack walked over to me and stood in front of me, staring at me intently. Ethan and Edward had both volunteered to babysit Lily while I went to the parent teacher interview.

"Calm down, you don't need to go in there guns blazing. Give her enough time to explain before biting her head off." He held onto my face obviously sensing my heightened emotions. He knew I was far past the point of control but he tried anyway. "This has gone in through one ear and out the other hasn't it? Just, don't do or say anything you will regret." He moved out of my way and followed behind me closely.

The house was quiet except for the sound of the t.v coming from the sitting room. I walked my way up the hall and walked into the sitting room. Lily was sitting with her leg planted over Edwards lap as they watched the t.v intently. Ethan sat in the lay-z-boy with a beer in his hand and his eyes glued to the t.v.

I walked up to the t.v and turned it off.

"Cameron, what the hell?" Ethan asked angrily. I turned my head so fast to him he shut up instantly.

"Shit." Lily mumbled under her breath.

"Cameron, what's going on?" Edward asked confused.

"What's going on? Ask your fucking niece." I spat as my voice was dangerously close to yelling.

"Cameron." Jack warned. Lily pulled her legs in and folded them underneath her. She looked down at her hands and studied them carefully. I stood silently and waited for her to say something but she carried on looking down at her hands.

"Lily got into a fight on Monday and didn't tell me." I said with little control. Lily's head shot up and she tried justifying her actions.

"I was going to tell you, I swear! I just," She trailed off and looked back down at her hands.

"You what? Huh?"

"I don't know." She said softly.

"When were you going to tell me?" She didn't look up and sat saying nothing. "Fucking answer me!"

"Cameron! Swearing at her isn't going to help." Edward said as he inched closer to Lily who was obviously on the brink of tears.

"I wasn't going to tell you, okay. I was scared and I didn't want to get in trouble. I might have told you next week, maybe." She said as she sobbed while looking at me. Edward reached for her and pulled her into his embrace while turning to me to give me a dirty look.

"Of course you would have got in trouble, you got into a fight! If you had just told me, I wouldn't be as pissed as I am right now. I am your mother, I love you and I will protect you from Carmen or who ever that bitch is, but you need to trust me and tell me when something, like a fight, happens. I want you to go and get ready for bed. I will tell you what your punishment is tomorrow." She pulled away from Edward and stood up and walked towards her bedroom. She paused and turned around slowly.

"I'm really sorry." She turned around and went into her room and closed the door quietly.

"WOW! What the fuck was that Cameron?" Edward asked angrily as he stood so he didn't look up at me.

"Back off, I am not in the mood to deal with you." I said as I moved to walk away. He stepped in front of me and stopped me from walking away.

"She is 13-years-old, don't yell at her like that." He said through gritted teeth.

"All right you two, calm down." Ethan said as he placed his beer bottle down and stood up.

"I'm her parent and I will parent her the way I want to parent her." I spat back.