Chapter 40 - Thankful

Within two months, my amazing Mother pulled together the wedding of her dreams. I never thought that I would be as grateful as I am right now to have asked her to plan my wedding. I had never appreciated my mothers dedication and time management more than I did right now. We had met up and she had already called in a bunch of favors from friends and was able to get the Riversdale church secured and had booked catering.

We had gone to do cake tasting, bridesmaid dressing and I was able to try on a few wedding gowns, all in one day. The next day we had decided on all major details of the wedding, including the bridal party and Jack had decided on the groomsmen. For a moment there I started getting cold feet with how fast everything was moving, but Jack had whisked me away for a weekend, while Lily stayed at home with Mum and the dogs. The weekend away was everything I needed. It reaffirmed my feelings for Jack and I knew that Jack was the one I wanted to be with for the rest of my life.

The wedding invitations were fast posted, and I was glad it was short notice for some people so my wedding was going to be smaller than Caz's. Everything was done with 3 weeks to spare. The only thing really was my wedding dress. I had found my wedding dress but because of my growing belly every time I went back I had to get it taken out.

The pregnancy had taken a dark turn when I was in hospital for 3 days from severe abdominal pain. I was fine after the first day but Jack and my father insisted I stay in just to be safe. We found out we were having a baby girl and Lily was the only one who guessed it to be a girl so she won the prize of $200 and a box of chocolate.

Work was work and I dreaded going to work more and more each day. I hated sitting at a desk all day, I wanted to be out where the action was and I wanted to wear my uniform. Brian being Brian was able to see that I was getting restless and decided to let me tag along with him to a gang shooting. The guy had died at the scene and boy I was not ready for what was going to come next. I had walked in and saw the blood and before I knew it my stomach had turned and I ran out to throw up on the grass. I had never reacted like this to blood before. Seeing blood was just part of my job, so when I had thrown up everyone looked at me in confusion. I decided to sit this job out and stay in the car. When I got back to work Liam mocked me and with all my messed up emotions and seeing the body and the blood; I began to cry. Liam got a clip around the ears from Angela, another policewoman, and she came to comfort me. I went home after that.

I decided I wasn't going to tell Jack and Lily about the puking situation and the pregnant emotional breakdown. My plan to keep it a secret was officially blown when Liam had come around later on that night with a box of chocolate and flowers. He explained to Jack what had happened and that he came over to apologize to me for laughing at me throwing up. When I turned to give Liam a look of complete disdain he gulped visibly. Jack and Lily had demanded answers and took it easy when I started crying again. Liam was very remorseful and so were Lily and Jack. After that I decided best if I took a couple days off, if anything to hide my face from my colleagues after my embarrassing melt down.

Other than a few meltdowns here and there everything for once felt like it was moving in the right direction. My small baby bump had grown and now I was reduced to wearing maternity pants, although I wasn't actually that mad about cause damn those were comfy. I was home alone the first time I felt her kick and it was unexplainable. I reveled in the moment and began to cry. Lisa and Bart had come over and placed their heads on my tummy, I knew they knew how special this moment was. Jack and Lily had walked through the door not long after but I sat as straight as a log not wanting to move just in case she got shy. I called them over and they had placed their hand on my belly and we all waited in anticipation for her to kick again; and like the jokester she is bound to be, just as disappointment threaten to spill over on to Lily and Jack's face, she gave a great big kick and we all cried.

It was a memory I swore to never forget.

So, like everything else in my life, the week of my wedding had finally arrived and I was surprisingly calm.

It was two days before my wedding and Caz had organized my bachelorette party. After her abominable hens night, I was genuinely worried about what was going to happen tonight. While we were going to go out to my hens night, Jack and his groomsmen were heading out also for his stag do.

We had all gathered at my house for pre-drinks, (juice for me, obviously) Jack's groomsmen and friends had gathered as did mine. There was a lot of laughter, alcohol and a lot of fun.

"Lily, Nana is coming to pick you and the dogs up soon so make sure everything is ready." I said to Lily as I walked into her room. She was sitting at her desk looking at her laptop.

"Mmhmm" was all she said as I went to sit on her bed.

"Lily? Are you listening to me?" I asked impatiently.

"Are you going to a strip club?" She asked confused as she turned to me giving me a chance to look at her laptop screen.

"No. Why are you looking at photos of strippers?" I asked raising my eyebrow.

"The whole hens night thing didn't make sense when Aunt Caz was explaining it to me. She said its a celebration of the single life you are choosing to give up by being married, but you and Dad have been together for a while, so you're not actually single. I don't get it." By the crease in her forehead this is something she really wanted an answer to.

"Well, its just a party for a woman to enjoy single life one more time, I guess." I looked at the wall confused what was the actual point of all this.

"But, you're not single." She justified.

"Yeah, but its just a celebration...a weird one." I justified.

"It sounds like an excuse to get trolleyed to me." Lily concluded.

Man, she was too smart for her own good.

"Yeah, you're right." I laughed as she laughed with me.

As if on cue my mother walked in to us giggling.

"What so funny?" Mum asked as she joined me on Lily's bed.

"Nothing, I just think the whole idea about a hens night is ridiculous." Lily explained as she stood up to pack away her laptop.

"I agree with you one hundred per cent! Now, we are going straight out to Riversdale and we will meet you Grandfather out there also. He is cooking dinner tonight so we better hurry, you know how he gets when people are late for dinner. So quick get Lisa and Bart and we'll head off." Mum explained to Lily. When Lily nodded and left the room Mum turned to me giving me a stern look.

"I know its your Hens night and all but remember that you are still pregnant so when and if you get tired come straight home." Mum said sternly.

I rolled my eyes at her dramatic tendencies and stood up to help take Lily's bags to the car. "Mum, you're being ridiculous. If anything I'm going to have to look after Caz. She's 4 shots in and we haven't even made it out yet."

"Jesus! I'm going to have a word with her now, the cars open. Be careful walking down the stairs." She warned.

I opened the front door and waddled down the steps to my Mums car where Lily, Jack and the dogs greeted me. 

"Are you going to be okay?" I heard Jack ask Lily as he closed the door once Lisa got in.

"I'm going to be fine, are you? You haven't made it out the house yet Dad and you reek of alcohol." Lily said warningly.

"I'm fine, I swear! I'll see you tomorrow out at Riversdale. Please be good." Jack said to Lily before he kissed her on the forehead and turned to give me a kiss.

Lily and I shared a look of understanding before we hugged each other. I know she didn't want me to be emotional so I smiled and held her in my arms a few seconds longer than usual.

It was only for the night but ever since I got pregnant, I've always tried to make sure Lily got as much attention as possible. I never wanted her to feel as though she was left out.

After long silence Mum joined us and they both drove off and I went inside to join the party. This weekend was going to be busy.