Chapter 27 - Birthday Surprise's

Jack and I had everyone, work colleagues, friends and family, gathered around the back yard for our announcement. It was going on to 6pm and Lily's birthday celebration was coming to a close. From the smiles plastered on everyone's face, including Lily, indicated that everyone had had a good time. Jack sensed I had become increasingly intense as the moment had drawn closer. I didn't really know what I was scared about, I just knew I was scared. Lily sat next to her friend, Jasmine, and looked nervous when we called her up to the patio. I looked at Jack and indicated he would have to do the talking as I was far too nervous to say anything. I held the envelope tightly in my hand and waited for everyone to quieten down.

"First and foremost, on behalf of Cameron and Lily, I would like to thank you all so much for coming to celebrate Lily's 14th birthday. As you all know it has been a whirlwind couple of months for Cameron and I trying to finalise the adoption and...taking time out from one another." Jack said as he flicked his eyes towards me momentarily showing a mixture of sadness and love. Everyone laughed but I felt extremely awkward. My cheeks started to heat and I felt embarrassed. "I'm glad to announce that as of today we are now officially recognised by the government of New Zealand to be the legal parents of Lily! Lily, you are now and forever will be Lily Henderson-Thompson!" Everyone erupted into a loud cheer and applauded as Lily stared at Jack and I disbelieving. Silent tears ran down her face and she looked at us with nothing but love. She wrapped her arms around both Jack and I and we embraced her as a family.

The night dragged on as everyone celebrated together with champagne and laughter. I thought everyone was going to leave after we announced it, but everyone stayed and the party went on well into the night. Dad and Joe went to the liquor store and brought more champagne as it was such a joyous occasion that Lily was finally a Henderson-Thompson.

Edward, Damon and Walter had begged me to introduce them to my three fellow female and very attractive police officers who were all around my age, that had come to share this moment with me. I had warned them not to try anything stupid as they were officers of the law, and even though they were my friends they would arrest them for inappropriate behaviour. They promised to behave and they all hit it off with a bang.

It had just struck 11pm and everyone had finally left. Lily went to bed at 10pm as the excitement of the day proved to be too exhausting. Caz and Dan were the last to leave and it was only Jack and I left...alone. I was washing up the final dishes and Jack was helping to dry and put away. A comfortable silence had come over us as we worked together as a team to clean the very last mess of the day.

Everything was clean as Jack and I sat back on the couch with a cup of tea mindlessly watching the t.v. I tried to keep my surprise to myself by the close proximity Jack had chosen to sit next to me. Our legs weren't touching, but he was close enough that his heat radiated off and warmed me. I found that my breathing had become slightly laboured as my sexual desires had reared its ugly head and I became quiet aware of my raising hormonal state. Damn it! I really didn't want to be attracted to Jack but he was...JACK! He was fucking gorgeous and I knew what his pants were concealing and who was I to stop myself from having a bit of fun? I haven't had sex in over 5 months, I need this.

But that would be wrong. I can have fun, just not with him. It would mean disaster for both of us.

"Cameron?" Jack's masculine voice uttered. I never really appreciated the way my name rolled off his tongue, it was so sexy when he said it.

"Hmm?" I turned slightly as my eyes met his large chocolate coloured ones. His face became unreadable. I couldn't tell what he was thinking and the unknowing was killing me the most. Was he feeling hot and bothered and as uncomfortable as I was?

"I...um...can I kiss you?" Jack asked nervously as his eyes stared at my slightly parted lips. I picked up that his breathing had also become a testament to the raising sexual tension. All I had to do was say 'no'. That was all I needed to say. Jack and I together would be wrong, and we have a kid together; it would be so wrong!