4. Mason and Joanne

"So that happened." I finish telling Mai about everything and she looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Some anniversary. Filled with anger and heartbreak and truces an-" I stop her before she makes it sound like a trailer for a movie. I slowly remove my hand and she sighs.

"Did you talk to Alisha at all?" She asks.

"She's been avoiding me." Mai nods in sympathy and hugs me. I pull away.

"Boys have wacked up brains," she says insightfully. We nod and look up at the sky. It had been Mai's idea to go star gazing at one pm. Don't ask, just don't.

"You talked to Mason?"

"Yeah, but it's so weird. It's like he's trying to make sure I don't get angry by agreeing with everything I'm saying and its making me angry either way. And exasperated," I say, getting up to look for my phone. This whole thing was starting to get out of control and it was really bugging me.

I need to talk to you. My house in five.

Hopefully that would be my chance to sort things out. Or I would have to break up with him.

And I really didn't want to.

***

"Great, you're here."

When get inside, I see Mason on the stairs. He looks up at me and smiles. I smile as small smile. I couldn't do this alone. Mum. She could help.

"Mum, I need you!" I scream. Within seconds she's pulling me to the kitchen and closes the door behind her.

"it's Mason isn't it?" She asks.

I sigh. "He's trying to do everything to make me happy and it's freaky. It's like he's trying to be who we were then not now and it isn't working. What do I do?"

"Tell him and see why. Maybe when you comes downstairs, things would be resolved. It may take an hour. It may take three but don't let me see you out until you sort things out," she says.

I nod and walk back to the stairs. Mason's still there. I grab his hand and march up the stairs. "We have a lot of talking to do."

I slam my room door and take a seat on my bed, him on a beanbag. After a long period of silence, he breaks it.

"Why am I here?"

"Why are you trying to make me happy?"

He looks stunned but, soon enough, a wave of relief rushes over his face. I knew that he was going to tell me the complete truth.

"Because I want it to work. And I don't know what to do. It's so hard especially when I love the shit out of you."

Shortened version. So I tell him my long version.

"I know you want this to work but it isn't. The way that you agree with everything I say is freaky. You try so hard to make me happy it's like a parallel universe that I don't know how to work. I want old Mason who was cocky, an asshole, told me that karma was a bitch all the time. I miss him. I want this to work so much but it isn't with you like this. You never used to do this before and I don't see why you should start now. I love you Mason."

He stares at me, trying to get his head around what I had just said. I walk over to him and sit on his lap.

"Remember this? When your lap was my favourite spot to be..." I trail off because I feel like if I say anymore, I'm going to break again.

"I want old Mason back," I breathe while hugging him. I keep in the same position. Maybe this was the last time I would hug him like this again. He wasn't even fucking hugging back. Then I feel his arms wrap around me. I look up surprised. He's smiling down at me.

"Who said he ever left?" He says. I smile.

"No more freaky Mason?"

He shudders. "Who even was that guy. No smirks, no games. Totally not me."

I smile and feel my heart flutter. I had him back. He leans in to kiss me and kisses me. I kiss him back, the relief flooding through my lips. Happiness flooding through his. I kiss him until my lungs are begging for air and my lips are way too moist. I pull away and my lungs rejoice.

"Someone's eager," he smirks at me.

"You have no idea how happy I am to see that smirk," I say.

I knew things were back to normal after that. He was mine again.  About time too.

It took four hours.