24. Prim And Proper

"My hand's wet!" Mason whined.

I intertwined my fingers with Mason's as we walked through the halls at lunch. My lungs ached from all the laughing I had just done. He smiled at me before squeezing my hand. We had just come out of the funniest English lesson ever. Mr Phil walked in mid lesson and tripped over his own feet and landed on the floor with the loudest of thuds. Mason had to clamp his hand over my mouth to stop me from laughing out loud.

"Blame Mr Phil," I gasped out, clutching my sides.

"I think I'll blame your self control," he said with a chuckle.

"You love me really," I teased.

"Yeah, I love you," he said.

I looked up at him with a smile and he mirrored my look. He leaned down and kissed my forehead.

"Awww!" A voice said sarcastically.

We looked around to see someone I despised with a passion. My face turned into a scowl and my fist clenched so hard that my knuckles turned white.

"Luke Eaton," I spat.

Mason took my fists and smoothed them out, holding my hands in his. I looked up at him with a small smile as he ran his fingers through my hair.

"What do you want?" I sneered, my voice calmer that before.

"To take Mai to the year ten prom," he answered with fear evident in his voice.

"Oh hell no!" I shouted. Mason clamped his hand over my mouth for the second time today.

"J, they're classes still going on, you know," he warned. My eyes widened and I pulled Mason's hand off my mouth while gesturing for Luke to follow me.

I stepped outside the building and I walked to the piazza, taking a seat on one of the benches with my arms crossed on my chest. Mason stood behind me and kissed my forehead, putting a small smile on my face. He always knew how to calm me down.

"Talk," I said, bluntly.

"Well, I like Mai but she kind of hates me because of last year. I want to take her to the year ten prom but she'll probably slap me or something," he explained.

"One; she doesn't kind of hate you, she really hates you. Like, almost as much as I do and I hate you with every fibre of my being," I spat. My shoulders started to tense up. Mason placed a hand on my shoulder, slightly calming me down. I exhaled.

"Two; you like her? As if! Last time you talked to her, you were throwing the fact that she was raped in her face. So, nice try.

"And three; even if she were to say yes (which she won't), I would probably beat you up so bad that you won't be able to get out of the hospital in time for prom."

Luke stood in front of me wide-eyed with his mouth opened.

"You're definitely not the Joanne I knew from primary," he said.

My eyes turned a darker shade of brown with rage as I remembered then teasing me in primary school.

"That's what years of endless and merciless bullying does to a girl, bastard."

He flinched and looked down. I looked away as tears intruded my eyes.

"Hey, hey, hey. No need for tears," Mason said, bending down in front of me. I nodded and looked at him. What did I do to deserve him? I pointed to my lips and he rolled his eyes with a smirk, leaning in anyway. He kissed me briefly before pulling away, leaving me with a smile.