Chapter 33 - Betrayal.

Michelle found Paul was making a real effort to help her with the children and by being loving and attentive to her. As her pregnancy developed, tiredness and sickness became a problem again. Then, as she moved into her fourth month, she improved but there was a drastic change in Paul again. All his good intentions to help her seemed to vanish. His work load began to increase and he spent more and more time away from home, sometimes all night. All night studio sessions were something he had done before and he always made sure he contacted her to make sure they were all well and to tell her he would be late. Michelle said nothing to him this time, in the vain hope that once the work was completed, she would get the loving husband and father back once more.

On one of those working evenings, Michelle looked at the clock, 11.30pm. She was worried. Paul had always been in touch if he was going to be working late. She debated whether to ring the studio when the sounds of crying distracted her. She heaved her pregnant weariness out if the chair and went upstairs to where her children slept. Kathryn was crying. Michelle sighed, picked up her daughter and took her into her own bedroom and closed the door, hoping that Kathryn's cries hadn't awoken her brother. Michelle hugged her daughter close. She noticed she felt warm and was fractious. Michelle rubbed some medicine on the hard swollen gums in the vain hope the child would sleep with the relief from teething pain. Michelle yawned then adjusted her sitting position. Trying to nurse an eight month old baby over a five month pregnant stomach was uncomfortable. She rubbed her back and thought again how quickly she had ballooned with this pregnancy. She yearned to lie down and sleep but knew she couldn't. At last her daughter seemed to be settling. Michelle took the opportunity to tiptoe across to the crib by the bed and placed her in. Momentarily she held her breath, but the infant slept on. Seizing her chance, Michelle lay on the bed, still fully dressed but just too tired to change. Within minutes she was asleep. She did not stir until awoken to the hungry cries of her children at six o'clock the following morning.

On waking, Michelle realized Paul hadn't been to bed all night. Occasionally he had taken to sleeping in a different room when home late, especially if one of the children was in their room. She looked around the door on her way to the nursery but realized he still wasn't home. Her focus was directed to the children whose cries were becoming more strident. Despite her worries and her tiredness, her heart lifted at the sight of her children. With practiced skill, she picked them both up and carried them downstairs and into the kitchen. Rose was up and all ready preparing breakfast and bottles for them.

"You shouldn't be carrying them both now Michelle!" she chastised and she lifted one of the children from its mother and settled him into the high chair and Michelle did the same with the other baby, "They're far too heavy!"

"I don't have the energy to go up and down the stairs twice Rose, you know that! Any way, give it a few more weeks I won't be able to!" She changed the subject. "Have you seen Paul this morning by the way? I don't think he came home last night but he didn't phone!"

Rose shook her head. "That's not like him! He always let's you know what's happening."

"I know," said Michelle looking worried, "I'll ring the studio once this two are fed and dressed and check everything's ok."

By the time Michelle had fed, bathed and dressed the twins as well as organized herself it was after 11am. After a brief period of play, Rose came and took over the twins and Michelle went to phone. The studio phone rang out for a long time but went unanswered. Michelle knew that if they had been there then this wouldn't have happened. She tried ringing George Martin but again the phone went unanswered. Concern growing, she rang John. Cynthia answered.

Hi Cyn -it's Michelle. Did John come home from work yesterday or did they throw an all nighter?"

"Yesterday?" She sounded puzzled, "Just a minute Michelle, I'll get John."