Chapter 23

Ethan's POV
___________________

"Ethan, sweetheart, we have to go now now." my mother whispered softly, gently placing her warm hand on my right shoulder.

"No mom, I can't go. I'm not leaving Emma." I told her sternly, refusing to pry my gaze off of the sleeping body that laid in front of me.

She pulled her hand off of my shoulder and I let it drop down by her side, heaving out a long sigh.

I could tell without looking at her, that frustration was beginning to take control of her brain and her patience level was about to go from 100-0 real quick.

But I didn't care.

I made a promise to both Emma and myself that I would stick by her side no mater what happens. I will be here when she wakes up, and my mom is not going to be able to take me away from the love of my life. I'll sleep on the cold, linoleum hospital floor if I have to, I don't give a flying fuck about what the doctors will say about that, because I'm staying here.

"Ethan, it's best if you go home and relax. Being with her all day is really building up your stress level, and I think you need to take some time away from her." she said calmly, walking over to the empty spot next to me.

"How am I supposed to relax when my girlfriend's in a coma?! So what if I'm stressed right now, I have every reason to feel this way!" I turned to face her, my nostrils flaring and my lips curled into a tight line.

"This is what I'm talking about! You need to get out of this place! Now come with me, we're leaving." she declared, her expression switching from calm and collected, to rage and fury in less than a fraction of a second.

"Mom I'm not leaving! I don't care if it's fucking messing with my emotions, I'm staying with Emma no matter what! If this were dad, I'm sure you'd react the same as I am!" I yelled at her, pure anger dripping from my voice.

Her eyes widened in shock and she took a step back, continuously opening and closing her mouth, trying to suppress something to squeak out from her voice box, but no words came tumbling out.

She gave me one last glance, and swiftly spun on her heel, stalking out of the room. I snapped my attention back over towards the hospital bed, and the wooden door slammed shut, signaling that Lisa Dolan had just left the room.

"Look, I'll sleep on the floor if I have to, but I'm not leaving your side." I muttered into her ear.

-

I tossed and turned on the floor as I tried to let sleep wash over me. But as hard as I tried, my body refused to let myself fall into slumber. My brain was racing with a chain of thoughts, all that somehow directed themselves to the subject of my fans and Emma. I needed to have a serious talk with all of them, but how am I supposed to tell them? I could do a YouNow, but I feel like that wouldn't work out very well. Because knowing that application, it always led for the broadcast to glitch and I would lag off.

Maybe I could do a YouTube video? That would work out pretty well I guess, and my notifications wouldn't blow up with comments and fan mail as I tried to film like how it always did on YouNow. So it would definitely be easier to film, but just not as easy to talk about.

For sure, there was going to be some tears shed, but I'll need to stay strong for her. I need to be as positive as possible about all of this and just hope for the best.

I sat up and stretched out my aching back, earning some loud cracks as I twisted my body to the side. I sighed deeply and pushed myself onto my knees, glancing over at the black alarm clock that rested on the bedside table. The flashing green lights that shone from the screen blinded my eyes as the setting was on full brightness, but after a couple of seconds, the blurry blob focused and a set of numbers appeared;2:38 am. I rubbed my eyes and hopped onto my feet, looking through the rectangular window that was placed firmly in the door, beads of light shining through the cracks of the mini blinds. I slowly made my way over to the side of the hospital bed and gently pushed back a stray hair from Emma's face.

"I'll be back soon, I promise." I told her, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

I needed to go for a walk, hopefully it'll help my mind recollect itself. I slipped on my black high top converse and put my hand against the cool metal surface of the doorknob, slowly pushing it down, causing the door to creak open.

A beam of flight flashed into the dark room, and I quickly slid out into the hallway, shutting the door behind me.
I trekked down the long hallway, my shoes squeaking against the linoleum flooring. I made my way over to the elevator, the doors almost immediately skidding open as I pressed the down button. I stepped onto the lift, and clicked for the main level. There was a sudden jolt of movement before it began its slow descend from the 8th floor all the way down to the ground level.

I hopped out of the elevator as soon as the two metal doors veered open, and turned towards the exit of the building.
I shoved my hands into my pockets as the cold December air nipped at my skin, and I pulled my head down, trying to get some heat from my jacket.

I slowly thumped my feet against the uneven concrete, walking forwards. I don't even know where I'm headed, as long as I can refocus my mind, then it doesn't really matter where my legs lead me towards. I inhale sharply, a gush of cold air entering my mouth. I slightly shivered and took my hands out of my pockets, pulling my jacket tighter onto my body.

I looked around, and it looked like I was somewhere near downtown, not too far from the hospital. I stuck out my arm, tracing the shapes of the bricks with the tips of my fingers that were plastered into a wall of a building. The rough texture didn't really faze me that much, but I was caught by surprise when my skin ran over a sharp object, immediately cutting it open. Blood seeped out, and I shook my hand back and forth, trying to ease the stinging pain that was constantly throbbing through my finger.

"Shit!" I whisper-yelled.

I didn't know what to do, so I took the hem of my shirt underneath my coat and wrapped it around the cut, trying to catch the blood. I took a deep breath and continued making my way along the sidewalk.

And all of the sudden, I heard something.

{40+ VOTES FOR ANOTHER CHAPTER!! left you guys on a cliffhanger bc that's just the type of person I am!! lol sorry😂 but what do you guys think is gonna happen next? leave your guesses in the comments! also, who else here is a fan of 5sos? bc I am🙋 lol invade you could t tell by my username...anyway 💥LOVE YOU GUYS💥}