#19 ||RINGO & GEORGE ||

It was a Friday night, the floor was flooded with young adults trying to get their first tastes of the college life. The place was booming, the rock music was causing new levels of hysteria and the stocks on the alcohol  had levelled up, making the people drunker and the music even sweeter.
This was the 60's and even better, it was 60's college life.

You decided to go to your first ever college party. It was the end of your first week but it felt even longer.

You looked over at your boyfriend, Richard. He was completely oblivious to the amount of people swinging beers and singing their hearts out. He almost had a bored look on his face, like he's seen it a thousand times and this time was no different. He leaned down and tried speaking above the noise, "Seriously, you would think you freshman's were going for lamest party of the year!"

Richard was in his third year of college. You studied his comically annoyed look that blended well with his teddy boy hair and the cigarette in between his lips.

"This!" You say but the music had just gotten louder. "This is 'lame'?!" A wide smile appeared on your face as you glances around and realized that you had never been a part of anything like this. Ever.

Richard only rolled his eyes at you and scoffed. "You should see the Halloween party. That shit gets crazy!"  He yelled.

It was then where a guy dressed in even spunkier teddy clothes approached us and shook Richard's hand.

"Ringo!" He called him. He was holding two beers in his hand and had a lady in one arm. He flashed him a toothy grin. "Didn't know you were gonna come here, mate! Isn't this party a little uh, dull for Ringo Starr!" He said jokingly.

Richard smiled back at him and the music stopped. "Well, I'm only here because of her." He said nodding towards you as the band started up with another song.

"Ahh.. A bird now!" He said winking at Richard who gave him a very wary look in return.

"She's my girlfriend." Ringo said bluntly.

"It's all the same my friend!" He replied into his ear before focusing his attention on you.

"I'm John. John Lennon!" He said over the up-beat music.

You hesitantly shook his hand and told him your name. He grinned at you and gave you a cheeky wink.

Blushing, you looked over at Richard, who gave John a familiar wary look and pulled you even closer. John only laughed and took another swig of his beer before going off to god knows where.

You two continued walking then after a few seconds, you said. "Well, he seemed friendly."

Ringo brushed it off, "He's just a little drunk." He said before coming to a stop in front of the bar and ordering two beers.

You two took seats and waited for your drinks.

"Are a lot of your friends here?" You asked.

"No!" He said. "Are yours?"

Your eyes looked around and landed on two very drunk girls dancing to the music and unconsciously knocking over a tray of desserts.

"Yeah!"

Your beers came and you grabbed yours giving it to Richard to open. Once he returned it to you, you immediately took a swig.

"Take it easy, I don't wanna have to carry you outta here." He said taking a swig of beer himself.

You smiled and soon the familiar warm feeling spread to your hands.

"Oh please! Funny your the one speaking." You say. He raised an eyebrow looking amused. He was about to say something but it seemed like his attention was on something behind you.

Curiously, you turned around and saw your friend, George, a couple of stools away.

"George!" You yell not noticing the incredulous look Richard was giving both of you. George fought a blush but looked back up and waved. Without thinking, you stood up from your seat and walked over to him. Richard hesitantly did the same.

"George! I didn't think you'd make it!" You say at the boy your age. He didn't seem like the type to go to these parties, but you were amused as ever to see him at the bar instead of the library. He was a fine bloke.

George flashed a nervous glance at Richard, who was studying George's every move.  "Well... I've finish my paper early, so I had nothing better to do." He finished with a small grin.

That was complete bullshit, Richard thought. He saw the way this George bloke was staring at you. He came here because of you. Richard felt himself puffing his chest and taking another drag of his cigarette. This seemed to frightened the boy and it made Richard amused.

"Well I'm glad!" You said giving him a small hug, still oblivious to the death glares that were being sent between the two boys. Once you pulled away, Richard gave a slight cough and broke in.

"Y/N, I believe you haven't introduced me to your friend here." He said sounding unpleasant.

Right.

"Oh yeah. George, this is my boyfriend, Richard. But you may have heard of him by his nickname, Ringo!" You say practically screaming the last part as the lead singer did some crazy vocals that made all the girls scream.

George now got off from his chair and stood. He was surprisingly tall for his age, it seemed he was a few inches taller than Richard. But Richard just took another long drag, puffed out his chest, and put on the best intimidating look he could muster; it made up for the lost inches.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." He said sounding as if there was no pleasure to it at all. He reached out and they shook hands as firmly as ever, never once breaking eye contact.

The song ended and another loud round of applause followed after.

"Do you know where the washroom is, Richard?" You ask your boyfriend who seemed in a trance. He opened his mouth to speak but someone already beat him to it.

"It's over there, by the back of the stage!" George yelled as the band played a series of chords and the crowd erupted in screams again.

George tried his best to ignore the murderous glare he was receiving from the other boy. George smirked and it didn't go unnoticed, for Richard immediately tensed up.

"Thanks!" You placed a hand on his shoulder. "Have fun!" You say to him before leaving the two.

Richard now looked at George with an all new wave of contempt. He was a silly first year, he had no chance in getting to you. But then the scary thought hit him; he would most likely be in your classes. The image of you two eating together and studying together made him want to punch the boy in the face.

So, by nature, the two men sized each other up. Richard narrowed his eyes at him in anger. He had not expected this, and he certainly did not expect to see George returning the same look.