#20 ||PAUL||

Pumpkin Carving

-

"Did you know the first Jack-O-Lanterns were actually made from turnips?"

"No, but of course you do."

You chose not to respond to his little jab and continued. "The name comes from an Irish Folktale about a man named Stingy-Jack." You say looking at your carved pumpkin satisfied and then looking up at Paul, who was very focused on his pumpkin, and found that the corners of his lips were tilted up.

"Yes, I've heard about a Stingy-Jack, the mischievous liar who played tricks on everyone, are you sure you're not talking about John?" Paul said amused. He dropped his carving knife and lifted up his pumpkin, although looking quite disappointed. He set it back down on the grass and stared at it.

"It's horrible." He said sighing. You looked at his disfigured pumpkin. It didn't seem all too bad, except for the fact that his werewolf had rectangles as legs. You tried stifling in a laugh.

"At least it's better than mine." You say watching for his reaction. He rolled his eyes and grabbed your pumpkin. "You're just being modest." He mumbled.

This time,  you didn't bother holding your laughter as you looked at the frustrated expression on his face. You leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the cheek before laying down on the picnic blanket. Soon Paul was down beside you.

The sky held almost no traces of blue but the trees bore the wonderful warm colours of Fall: browns, reds, oranges, yellow. Although it did seem like rain was coming, it was everything you loved. You took a deep breath and closed your eyes, cherishing the moment.

It was silent for a while, the two of you were just satisfied with each other's presence so there wasn't any need to fill in the silence.

Shortly though, Paul turned his body and propped his head up by his elbows so he can see your face.

"I understand why you like Fall, now." He says.

You smile and flutter open your eyes. "And why do I like Fall?" You respond.

He hesitated for a moment, but then a mischievous twinkle appeared in his eyes as he smirked smugly.

"You want to impress Stingy-Jack with your pumpkin carving skills of course. Oh I should've seen it before, you only brought me here because you knew I would make an awful pumpkin." He says pretending to sound hurt.

He held a straight face as your smile grew larger. "Perhaps you're right." You sighed. "If only he were here. But instead I'm stuck with you and your lack of carving skills."

You propped yourself up on your elbows to mimic Paul's position.

"You don't mean that." He says staring at your lips.

You were inching closer and closer.

" 'course I do." you mumbled and closed the distance.

You kissed him softly, cherishing the comfortable warmth. It was like this for a while, but his hand soon made it's way to your back, pressing you against him. Your hands moved to cup his cheeks as the kisses became quicker. Soon you found the feel of his soft hair in between your fingers, making him kiss you harder.

You've never gone this far with Paul, but now you didn't know why you hadn't earlier. Maybe it had to be a special moment, one where you wouldn't forget, in a place where you both loved. Did those type of kisses  exist? Well, it was happening right now. But it feels so surreal.

With a new idea in your head, your fingers made there way to his coat buttons. You fumbled one button out, but was too caught up in the heat to get the second one, for now he placed a kiss on your jaw line and was trailing down your neck.

Just when you were getting the hang of it, you heard the unmistakable roar of thunder.

"P-Paul, we should get going. It's going to rain." You say even though you didn't want to go.

"Not yet." He mumbled against your skin.

You both had sneaked out so if you were to return dripping wet, it would mean terrible interrogations. You thought that you didn't need to remind Paul of this, but did so anyways. "Paul, we should go, my mum would know we were gone." You say more alarmed.

Finally but reluctantly, he removed his lips and sat up, mumbling something unintelligent. But just then, an even louder roar of thunder struck, and within a second, it was pouring rain.

You looked at each other alarmed and soon found yourselves standing up and gathering your belongings. Paul frantically raised the blanket above his head in order to shield the cold droplets. He grabbed you and pulled you under the makeshift umbrella.

Your eyes widened when you realized that you were gonna have to make up an explanation to your mum on why your clothes were now soaking wet.
The blanket was no use, as it too was soaked and dripping over you both.

Paul angrily put down the blanket and yelled over another crack of thunder. "We need to go! Now!" He says already turning to run.

"Wait!" You yell and before you knew what you were doing, you turned around to get Paul's pumpkin.

"You can't be serious. FORGET about the damn pumpkin!" 

But you were already kneeling down to pick it up, choosing to ignore Paul's incredulous rant.

"You're bloody mad!" He said looking at you disbelievingly as you caught up with him.

"Shut it, just run!"