Chapter Nine: Young Volcanoes [EDITED]

Sunlight beams through the cracks in the black curtains, it lets streaks of light through onto the bed sheets and his face. His hair is messy and pushed up, his face is smashed into his pillow and his eyes were tightly shut to keep the sun out.

I watch his chest rise and fall, we had argued for an hour about him coming to bed shirtless. I was glad he won, his arms were full and long, clean of tattoos. His left arm was looped around my waist holding me close to him even in his sleep. Before long a smile creeps up on his face and his one eye opens to look at me.

Squinting in the morning life he laughs, “you were right,” he jokes “quite the bridge troll.”

I laugh and push him away from me. My hand connecting with his bare chest he moves backwards. I lay back on the bed staring at the ceiling, Niall lays on his side and plays with the hem of my shirt. He tucks his head into the curve of my neck and places kisses along my collarbone with care.

I smile at let the sun warm my face, tangling my fingers in his hair and pulling him close. He grows low as I tug gently, he bites me catching the little bit of skin in his teeth. “Ow,” I squeal.

He laughs, “you really are beautiful.”

“Thanks,” I say kissing him “I try really hard.”

I pull the blankets up over my shoulders and curl into his body to collect his warmth. I could stay like this all day but a knock at the door interrupts the serenity.

“Hold on,” he pulls back and swings his legs from the bed. He pulls a clean black shirt from his draw and puts it down over top of his chest. “I’ll be back love,” he says leaving me with one more kiss.  

I listen as his heavy feet trail the hallway of his flat, the wood floors creaking under his weight. I sit up in bed and pull a sweater over myself curling into it and listening carefully as the door swings open.

------

“Dad,” I open the door to see the old man’s hard face. He looks from my face to the floor and I know he sees Sarah’s shoes. I ignore his huff and back up letting him come into the apartment.

“You know better Niall,” he says in a strong whisper, his voice so loud yet so quiet. “You aren’t allowed to have her here.”

He says it coldly and sternly but I just shove my hands into the pockets of my sweats and shake my head at him. “It’s my home is it not?”

“It’s my football team, my rules and she’s my player.”

I stand glaring at him, I can feel my jaw tighten and my hands ball up in the pockets in anger. I couldn’t stand how distant and cold since mom left him, nothing was ever good enough for him anymore.

“Watch yourself, or I’ll do worse then send her home Niall.”

“What do you want dad?” I ask trying to speed up him leaving.

“I’d like you to smarten up but I came because you need to run over the play books. Fix all the plays that didn’t work.”

He shoves three black binders at me but before his large hands release the books to me “I mean it Niall.”

He warns me, but I’m not afraid of his words or him for that matter. Sarah’s tiny footprints come down the hallway as the door closes behind him. Her dark hair was swept to the side of her neck showing off her gorgeous skin. I had been with girl before, plenty of them, but none like her.

She was patient and kind, yet she fought for everything she wanted...she was stubborn and strong. Even before she had shut me down the night before I had no intention of sleeping wither. I wouldn’t lie to her ever, I only had wanted to hold her close.